Beginner questions

Just trying out Scapple, so forgive beginner questions.

I find that if I put a shape on a note, and then add or change a colour, the note reverts to a plain round-cornered shape. Is this normal or am I doing something wrong?

I, for one, can’t reproduce this. Can you say more exactly how to make this result happen?

Here is what I did: Make new Scapple document. Create new note (or background shape). Give it the Jagged-shaped border. Change Fill colour. Change Text colour. At this point my note is still jagged as it should be.

gr

New doc
Make a bunch of notes, connecting them different ways.
Choose one and fill it with colour.
Choose Borders/ Jagged
Choose Note Styles/ Bubble and the blue
It’s suddenly rounded-cornered again.

Oh, and if I put a Background Shape behind it, the notes inside revert to rounded too.

Weirdly, I did that again and they didn’t lose their shape; but this time I’d started by choosing Bubble for their colours.

Is there, perhaps, a confusion about what Note Style is doing? Note Style choices include shape and color specifications – a whole look for a note. So, when you apply a note Style, you should expect it to take charge of the shape and color, etc.

gr

p.s. Looking at your description. Is creating a lot of notes and connecting them in all kinds of ways relevant to making the trouble happen? Can you not make it happen with a single note?

I don’t think it’s about creating a lot of notes - I’m just faffing around testing out how the app works at the moment, seeing how I could use it for plotting two parallel plotlines, for instance.

(I’d love it if Jagged and Cloud were more, um, jaggy and cloudy, like this:

Cloud shape.png

Oh, and another question: is there any easy way to change the orientation of an arrow? (This new Air is a drag to drag on.)

Did I hit the nail on the head? Or is the first problem still outstanding?

You did, thanks, and it isn’t.

Cool.

As far as I know dragging is the only way – dragging is definitely the main mode of action in Scapple. But maybe a true Scapple master will come by and surprise us with some recherche arrow flipping operation!

While there isn’t a specific command to flip the arrow, there are some keyboard shortcuts that can help:

• If you put the arrow in the wrong direction, select both notes and hit ⌥⌘,
  • Arrows can be added with the keyboard, using a pattern where the first note you select will be the source, and all subsequence notes will be the targets—or what the first note points to.
  • There are other useful commands in the Notes menu with shortcuts, and commands you can add shortcuts too as well. For example it is possible to create a new note with an arrow already pointing ot it, with the keyboard alone.

A tip on note order selection: you can click carefully on one note and then Shift-click on the next to add it to the select—indeed sometimes that is necessary if there is a lot of clutter—but what I usually do is click and drag a marquee rectangle around both notes, insuring the rectangle intersects with the first note first. You don’t have to select in two separate steps for there to be a concept of order. I prefer this method because one needn’t be precise with it all, it is thus fast and efficient.