Best Compile Setting for Ms with Text and Scanned Articles?

Hi!

I was a columnist for years and did a parenting column for 9 years. My kids are grown now and I want to compile all my old columns into some kind of book for them as a keepsake of their childhoods–the stories were all about them.

I’m compiled all the columns in a scrivener binder, but some of them are Word docs of the original files and about half are scans of the actual articles from the newspaper. I have them in chronological sequence now, and the two different types of files/stories are all mixed together.

When I try to compile them, only the former Word docs show up. None of the scanned articles. I’ve tried various output settings, but no luck so far. Any ideas of the best way to export this whole project (or in fact, ideas on how to best print it all up together?)

Also, how do I select all the Word files and make them all the same font, spacing, etc. Right now, they’re inconsistent.

Thanks again for your help! (I’m on vacation and may not have wifi after tomorrow afternoon, so it may take me a bit to get your answers and respond!)

I notice nobody has had a response for me so far—so I’m wondering if anyone has any ideas of how I can pursue this question elsewhere. How to get scanned images to export.

Here’s what I would do, but whether it would be too fiddly for the amount of stuff you have.

1. Make sure that any parts that are not appearing have not had “Include in compile” in the Inspector turned off, and are included in the Contents pane of the Compile dialog. Choose “All options” at the top of the dialog!

2. For all the docs you’ve imported from Word, highlight them all and then do: Documents > Convert > Convert to Default Text Style; that assumes you’ve either set the default text style in the Formatting pane of Preferences, or in Project > Text Settings…

3. For the PDFs, can you OCR them to turn them into copy-and-paste-able form, and then do that. That would depend on the content of the PDFs, of course, which you don’t mention. Also, where are your PDFs? You can’t import PDFs directly into the Draft/Manuscript folder, and it is only the documents in there that get compiled. I don’t have any PDFs in any of my stuff, so I can’t advise further.

4. If you want special formatting on the pages … block quotes, dialogues, bullet points etc., you need to set those up with “Preserve Formatting”.

5. Lastly, screen shots of your Binder, and of the Contents and Formatting panes of your Compile dialog, help with trying to work out what’s going on or wrong for you.

Hope that helps a bit! :slight_smile:

Mr X

Canfish, I thought it would help to know what your intended format would be. PDF? epub? Paper? That is, is the pagination already a done deal or do you want something that can reflow?

DJL and Mr X,

Thanks for your comments, but I still don’t have my problem solved. See if this info helps you get a better picture of what I’m trying to do:

I don’t have a set output format I want. All I know is I want to be able to create a file that includes both the Word docs and the PDFs which are scans or original articles…so they appear like normal newpaper pages, to export them in the order I put them and then I’d like to transfer them to some form in which I can print them in a book (I’ve used Blurb before for family history books like this), but I’m open to ANY method that would work.

I’m uploading what my binder looks like for this project–you’ll see there are both PDF files and also Word docs, intermixed, but when I go to compile, only the Word docs appear in the Compile screen.

I wrote to Literature and Latte support and got this response:

Hello Laura,

I’m afraid that Scrivener can only compile text documents. The scanned documents are probably PDFs. While you can have PDF files in your binder, they cannot be included in a compile. They would have to be manually transcribed into regular text documents.

Jeff
Literature and Latte Support

I’m hoping someone can come up with a work-around for this…some other way to take the raw material I have–Word docs and PDFs of scans of articles can be combined and then exported in some way.

Here is some scans of my binder for the project, what one of the original article PDFs look like and also my compile screen.

Mr. X, I don’t know what OCRing them means. I’m a newbie to scrivener. technologically I can do a lot, but write to me as if I don’t know anything. That probably will help.

It seems that your scanned images are in PDF format. If that’s the case, I’m afraid they cannot be compiled directly from within Scrivener.

Scrivener will accept typed text (in standard RTF format), which in turn will accept images inserted as JPGs. So, I can think of two ways to make this work for you:

1. Convert those PDFs to JPGs and re-insert them into your project, as if it was a scrapbook.

2. Apply to those PDFs some OCR tool (OCR stands for Optical Character Recognition), which is a technique used to “read” text from printed or scanned sources in order to convert them back to editable text.

Hope this helps!

r6d2, I’ll try the conversion method because I want them to look like articles that were published rather than just extracting the text. Do you have a suggestion for a good method to convert the PDFs to JPGs? And are you saying the binder will accept JPGs and print them?

r6d2, I did convert all those files from pdfs to jpgs, but those wouldn’t input into the binder. did I miss something. is there some interim step I need to get jpgs into the binder?

I think this is the part of your answer I didn’t understand,

"Scrivener will accept typed text (in standard RTF format), which in turn will accept images inserted as JPGs. So, I can think of two ways to make this work for you:

1. Convert those PDFs to JPGs and re-insert them into your project, as if it was a scrapbook."

Can you translate that for me?

From the Scrivener Manual (under the Help menu) section 8.1.1, page 74 in my version:

‘Because the Draft folder is what is used to create the final manuscript, it is unique in that it can only contain text and folder files. While media files cannot be placed directly into the Draft folder, images can be placed into the text files themselves, in their appropriate locations within the text, just like in a normal word processor.’

In other words, now that your scanned articles are images, don’t put them directly into the Binder. Instead, insert them into your text as you would do so with images in, say Microsoft Word. If you haven’t any text, create new files in the Binder and insert your images into the blank pages - “scrapbook-style”, as advised above by r6d2. (Or you can link to the images elsewhere - the Manual, section 7.10, page 70 in my version. To read up on the exact mechanics of doing this, and the alternatives, I suggest doing a search in the Manual for “images”.)

Note: you can do this with PDFs also (not just JPEGs). That is, place each one inside a text document in your draft (1 per document). When you compile, each PDF will appear on the page you placed them. Of course, if you have already converted them to JPGs, they will work too.

I just managed to create a new document and use the Image—Insert—Linked to File command to get the image on a document (which I assume I can then compile). The problem remains that the original document is large (a newspaper page) and it “grabbed” the wrong part of the page. How do I position the initial image so that when the image is captured it’s positioned the way I want it to be? When this same file is in th e research binder, I can move it around in the workspace in Scrivener so it’s positioned properly. How do I resize or recreate those JPGs I made to make them appear properly? Any ideas?

PS. I don’t want to just shrink it, since the words in the image are already small. I just want to position it so the capture of the JPG is of the part of the page I want. Ideas?

The way I would handle that is to crop the original jpg or pdf down to just the section you want. You’ll probably have to use an external editor for that, not sure if Scriv has a cropping tool.

Right-Click on the file in your binder and Open in External Editor. Pretty much any image editor will let you crop. You can even do it in Preview.

SarsenLintel, I’m working today and tonight, but the next time I can give it a try, I’ll try that out. Thanks for the tip!

A non-destructive way to remove the areas you don’t want is to open the PDF in Preview, select the portion of the PDF you want (see attached screenshots), copy it using Cmd-C (or, via the menus, Edit->Copy) then press Cmd-N (File->New). Preview will create a new PDF based only your selection. You can then use this cropped PDF and keep your original intact.

For all it’s faults, Preview is remarkably versatile… :slight_smile:

Screen Shot 01.png

Screen Shot 02.png

I’m on a deadline for a project in my “real” life now–have to put this fun one aside for now. I realize I need to figure out what I want the output to be before I figure out how I want to compile it. And how exactly I want to use those newspaper articles–until I do that, I won’t know what size I need them to be. But all of this was a lot harder and more complicated than I wanted it to be! I hate when the technological learning curve gets in the way of the creative impulse!