Best practice to associate pages in a PDF with Chapters

Hi I am working in non-traditional way and have laid out chapters for my book already in Scrivener but wrote the content by hand in a notebook and scanned it as PDF.

Now I want to associate pages in the PDF with the chapters so I can start typing what I wrote. For organization purposes is this possible? Or how could I achieve this workflow?

Thanks in advance.

Split the PDF into multiple documents using Preview or a similar tool. Name the sub-documents appropriately.

Open the document you’re writing in one pane, and the appropriate PDF in the other pane of a split Editor window.

Katherine

Ok, thanks for the prompt reply.
1.I get that first I have to sort the pages of the PDF appropriately and create a sub-pdf. Makes sense.
2…but how do I open the appropriate pdf in the split editor window? I’m not clear on this part - i’m trying to retain all the data in scrivener not use separate programs. like have preview open and scrivener open because that doesn’t allow for rapid reference of my original in regards to the typed work. I don’t know if im understanding your use of the term “split view” correctly.

If you want them associated automatically, use document bookmarks. Load the (presumably empty) text document in the editor, and in the inspector, add the PDF as an internal bookmark (using the + sign in the inspector, or dragging from the binder). Drag the inspector over to make it wide enough to read the PDF.

Do that for every pdf/scrivener document combo, and then when you load the document in the editor, the associated PDF will load in the inspector automatically. Each pdf in your project should also automatically get a “back-link” in its document bookmarks to the associated text document, if I’m not mistaken.

Oh, this sounds like a much cooler technique, so I can connect a certain page of the pdf with the text document?

Unfortunately, no. You can only associate one binder “thing” (document, pdf, picture, imported web page, external web URL, etc…) to another binder “thing”. You’ll still have to split you PDF into manageable chunks and then create bookmarks to them from the documents where you want to type their contents into.

One advantage to this, though, is that you can order your PDF’s first “chunk” first, second “chunk” second, etc… in the Research folder (or another that you create), so that overall, the PDF is still readable without jumping around the binder too much. And because the document bookmarks to each PDF “chunk” are part of a document’s metadata, that means that even if you move the text document, the right PDF document will still be associated with it.

Try playing with document bookmarks in a test project. It’ll become pretty clear if it’s a useful feature or not. If you don’t know how to use them, then take a look at the Interactive Tutorial project (which can be created from the templates chooser window that pops up from File->New Project or from the Help menu). It should cover how to create and view document bookmarks. Or check out that topic in the manual.

Great response. Obviously, I’m trying to avoid the idea of having to manually flip through the actual notebook for the important bits which is why I scanned the whole book. My missing link was “chunking” the pdf which I am now doing quickly. Flipping through a pdf is quicker and less distracting, Also I agree it would be best practice to place the pdf “chunks” in a research folder, labeled appropriately. That’s just great organizational advice in general. I’ll play around with putting the “chunks” into the research folder and do the heavy lifting with bookmarks as I work through typing up each chapter.

Thank you! Mission almost accomplished, now to write the darn book. Scanning the “everything bucket” notebook was a month long task in itself! But glad I’m getting control of the thing now. :wink: