Best way to export text to InDesign

I’m looking for advice and recommendations on the best way to export text from Scrivener to InDesign. First, some background: I’m familiar with Scrivener, been using it for years, and can compile to many formats including kindle, epub, Word and PDF.

I’m a complete novice with InDeisgn, however. I’ve got a book and some training vids, and as usual I’ll probably learn by tweaking and trial and error along the way.

My needs are simple, since I’m producing print versions of novels to go into PDFs for Createspace. So no images, no tables, simple chapter headings, no other headings.

I can see a few options for exporting text from Scrivener, including: copy and paste; compile to Word then import; ditto with plain text; maybe compile to PDF and then import that (?); export individual files in the binder to the finder and then work with those. But what would the experts do? What’s the common sense way of doing this to minimise hassle and errors?

Thanks in advance for any tips.

Not just InDesign but any DTP package. Personally interested in using Scrivener in a Scribus workflow but there are others.

Have you tried Scrindesign 2? I never have myself, but a number of people on the forum have reported it works great.

Curious…if the design is simple (typical book?), why not just compile to PDF and use that for Createspace?

This article is relevant: Self Publishers Need Typesetting, Not Word Processing. Although the author uses Word in the examples, I would rate Mac OS X’s typesetting to be about in the same league as Word. I think that is something that should matter in self-publishing, but it is a bit of a contentious debate. Some say nobody notices the difference anyway, so why bother? With people reading in browser and e-book readers (which have awful typesetting on every level), are books now suffering from the “mp3 quality effect”, or are they liberated by “mp3 is good enough so now everyone can be pro”? I think to some extent this debate is a religious war. :slight_smile:

I know what side I’m on though, that’s why I use LaTeX for the text layout, even though it’s a pain to work with, I just can’t satisfy myself with the results that come out of Cocoa PDF.

In a word: control. Control of things such as:

Margins - inside and outside margins really need to be different
Headers - such as book and chapter titles
Page numbers - which shouldn’t appear on some pages, such as blank pages, the title page, dedication pages, contents pages etc.
Widows and Orphans and stuff like that.

Scrivener isn’t - and was never supposed to be - an all-purpose page layout and publishing platform. It started life, as I understand it, as a super-lean clean and agile writing environment with little of the nonsense that comes with top-heavy word processing apps. (looking at you, Microsoft Word). It’s astonishing the way it has developed, so now you can publish ebooks and even print directly from the application. But I guess that’s one of the benefits of separating content and design.

Basically, I’m thinking of using InDeisgn because it will deliver more control and better result (in the right hands!).

I haven’t tried it. I’ll check it out. Thanks for the tip.