Best way to handle math-heavy project?

I am trying out Scrivener to see if I like it - and whether I can use it to organize the research materials and complete the writing of an academic monograph, which contains quite a lot of mathematical equations.

At the moment, that monograph/research is in two formats: Google Docs (and I know I can export those to rtf, import to Scrivener); and pandoc-flavored markdown, which I use when I’m writing a section that has a lot of math in it.

So, I really have two questions:

1. I want to find a way to handle math in Scrivener, and nothing I find online seems quite right. Ideally, I would like to use all the formatting of Scrivener (italics, etc); enter math as $\sin\theta = .5$; and then be able to compile it to some usable format: whether docx (with proper Word equations, not images, inserted), or LaTeX, or some flavor of markdown that pandoc can then turn into some formatted text.

2. I can convert my existing pandoc-flavored markdown files into just about any format (using, of course, pandoc); what format would you recommend I use to import them?

One further note: I thought that export to mmd might be promising. But I found that all formatting is stripped out of footnotes when compiling to MMD - is that right??

Just keep using Pandoc flavoured markdown directly in Scrivener!!! :smiley: . I use Pandoc markdown for all my academic writing and it works wonderfully. Footnotes should be transferable.

And Scrivener 3 when it finally arrives will apparently directly support Pandoc in the compiler (currently you have to run it manually or via a trigger system). 8)

I guess that would work. Do you edit directly in Scrivener, or in an external editor (I would miss the highlighting etc. of emacs, which I usually use).

And then - compile to plain text, and send through pandoc (and pandoc-citeproc etc.)?

What features of Scrivener are particularly helpful to you, if you’re composing in pandoc?

It will be great when pandoc can be integrated into Scrivener. Is there a timeline for that release?

I do all my writing in Scrivener, and I’ve developed a set of formatting presets which I use to visualize my markdown blocks…

I compile to MMD, which is basically the same for all the markup I use in pandoc and with MMD compile you do gain a lot of benefits.

Those include conversion of Scrivener footnotes (which are lovely to work with considering the inspector). I also use Scrivener cross-references for figures and equations. I use Scrivener section numbering, though it isn’t very flexible at the moment. And I use Scrivener links to handle my figures so that all figures are exported with valid names. In fact I manage all my figures in Scrivener, the master Adobe illustrator files and various export formats.

I use a YAML metadata front matter for all my compiles, and currently run pandoc via pandocomatic, which makes multiple pandoc compiles trivial…

github.com/iandol/scrivomatic

Scrivener 3 which is slated to have pandoc support is already in private beta but there is no official release date so no one can clearly tell you when it will be available…

I checked this and RobertG is correct about the footnotes on Windows (Windows 7, in my case). RTF bold and italic in footnotes do not convert either with MMD or with LaTeX via MMD. I also can’t get Scrivener links to convert for either images or cross-references.

Thanks for all the information - I’ll keep experimenting, and will consider sticking with pandoc within scrivener.

I’ve reported the footnote bug. That’s a shame, as it seems to be the one obstacle between using the native rtf and then exporting mmd to pandoc for conversion.