Best way to organize non-fiction research

I have transcribed a massive amount of information from interviews into one long document. I want to break that document down into small chunks and place each of those chunks into a file that will correspond to a particular scene, theme, or chronological moment in the story. Within each of those chunks I need to know the source of that information–who said it and on what date.
When I am writing a scene, I want to have all the information about that scene from all of my sources together.
What is the best way to do this? After viewing the tutorials it is still a bit unclear what’s the best way to proceed. I used to use factlets in word.
Thank you,
Sonia Nazario

(By the way, Tips & Tricks is for sharing solutions with the forums. You’ll get more responses to this kind of thing in Technical Support – official Scriv people: please correct me on this if I’m wrong.)

Scrivener leaves much of this up to your preference. There are many features which might work for you in this context, so I suggest exploring the following topics:

Comments and/or footnotes, which can be anchored to specific parts of your text within a scene.
Document notes, where you can store text, pictures, or links to other documents in your project. There is only one note per document/scene.
Document References (you can drag documents from inside or outside of your project into this pane)
Splitting the Editor, which allows you to view two documents side-by-side (or above-and-below).
The “Include in Compile” checkbox (in the inspector), which would allow you to include your references as sub-documents to your scene draft while excluding those references from your final compile.
Quick Reference panes, which allow you to open multiple other documents in floating windows.

I’m sure there are other creative uses of features in Scrivener which might work for your purposes, but I think the above will help you focus on the best choices for how you can accomplish the organization of your project.

Once you’ve settled on one or two sets of features to use, then you will be in a better position to ask specific questions on how to accomplish something, or how to do it more efficiently.

Good luck!

Thank you! This is all very helpful–any other suggestions from others would be welcome.
Sonia

If you haven’t discovered it, you can get to the Scrivener User manual under the Help menu. From there you can search for specific words, or just browse the table of contents.