Best Way to Permanently Save First Draft of a Manuscript?

Hi again! I’m sending off the first draft of my play for feedback and I want to save a copy of this draft, with all its files, comments, etc permanently saved so I can go back to it if I need to refer back to something that’s there now. Ideally, I’d like to be able to go back to the Binder just as it is now before I start making huge changes in my next major set of revisions. It’s not that I want to save an individual file with a snapshot–it’s the whole project as it stands now. I will keep a hard copy, but I want to have a digital back up, too, one I can access before I start dramatically eliminating whole sections, rearranging, etc. If I could take a duplicate of the whole Binder Now and move it into the Research folder with a title like First Draft, that would certainly do! Then when I started changing the files in the binder, I’d have an easily accessible copy of the original draft.

I have my back up set to go to Dropbox now and I set it so it will keep 25 copies, the maximum, but I wouldn’t want this first draft to disappear should I someday save for the 26th time. Can I rename this version so it will stay there (and so I can access it) with not threat of it disappearing down the line once I’ve backed up the new draft a lot more times? Or is there another way?

In Word I just would have saved a file called First Draft with a date and that would have been that. Then I’d open a new one with a new name, something like Second Draft!

I’m sure this is something Scrivener can do…I’m just not sure how.

Lots of options. Simplest, perhaps, is:
[b]File

Back Up
Back Up To[/b]
… and create a backup with any name you want to use.

In addition to the milestone backup copy as Briar suggested, you can create a copy of the original documents within your project by selecting the Draft folder and using Documents > Duplicate > with Subdocuments and Unique Title. Then you can easily access that original copy of all your draft documents within the same project as you’re revamping the outline and rewriting the documents, even viewing the old and new side by side in the split editor if you want.

If you want a copy that you can reference in your current project, but which can’t be accidentally edited (or affected by Project Replace), you could compile to PDF and then import that PDF to your research folder. Or if you’re reasonably certain you won’t accidentally modify a copy, you can select the Manuscript folder and go to Documents->Duplicate->with Subdocuments…

I’d still recommend following Briar’s advice before you do anything else; a special backup of the project is always a good idea before you embark on a new editing phase.

Perfect, thanks. Jennifer, I think your solution is what I was looking for. And Briar and Robert…I appreciate the help. I’m glad to have all your suggestions in my bag of tricks now.