Best Way to Update Copies Across Devices?

Hi, I’m in need of advice on the best way to do something. I have a large novel project on my desktop (iMac running Monterey 12.6.6) and I want to also work on it while traveling on my Macbook Air. I write directly in Scrivener, not in Word or other program. When I finish for the day, I usually manually sync with an external folder. If I’m traveling, I want to open Scrivener on my laptop and have the same version on there to work with. I used to sync when I opened Scrivener on the laptop and everything was fine, but recently it stopped working and the desktop updates aren’t showing up on my laptop version. I make sure Scriv is closed on the other device before I open it on the one I’m using currently.

Is there a better way to do this? How can I get my laptop current right now? I know there are a lot of really smart people on this forum, and I really appreciate the help.

Don’t use Sync with External Folder, which is intended for sharing projects with applications other than Scrivener.

The fastest and safest solution is to create a ZIP backup on system A, transfer it to system B by any convenient method, then unzip and go. Reverse the process in the other direction.

That’s a file copy operation, not a sync operation. To sync, install software for the service of your choice on both systems, and read our advisory on best practices. Using Scrivener with Cloud-Sync Services / Cloud Syncing / Knowledge Base - Literature and Latte Support

2 Likes

Sync is the way to do what you want. Sync is controlled by the sync software, not Scrivener. Are you using a reliable sync method? I use Dropbox and it works well.