Best Way to Upload to Amazon Direct from Scrivener iOS?

Hello,

So I got the new 2018 iPad Pro and a Bluetooth keyboard for Christmas. I downloaded Scrivener for iOS and have finished a 10K short story. I do not currently own a computer of any kind, just the iPad Pro.

My problem is the compile option on iOS Scrivener is pretty bare bones. Does anyone upload books to Amazon using just an iPad? Are there any other options out there for putting together a finished product in the same way I heard Vellum does for Mac? If not, are there any instructions for getting my book directly off of Scrivener iOS to the Kindle Store in a way that will look OK? I’ve tried watching a few Scrivener videos but they are all from 2016 when it first came out on iOS and most just tell you to sync it to your Mac or PC version, which I do not own.

I guess I’m just trying to find a guide or a video or anything really that will break down how to upload directly from Scrivener iOS to Amazon as painlessly as possible.

Thanks.

This may fall into the 10-20% of things people like you and I want from iOS that can’t be done without another machine yet. As much as I’d like to eliminate my laptop from my workflow, I can’t, because some things iOS just can’t do.

I can set up a compile with Word as the output file type, choose Manuscript (Times) for appearance, choose Letter as paper size, etc. I can then copy the output over to Word for iOS. It looks decent but certainly isn’t what I would consider properly formatted for uploading as a Kindle book. Word for iPad is decent, but doesn’t have the style control options you’d really want to create a good looking ebook. Also, depending on what your iPad’s screen size is, you might have to pay for Office 365 to get anything like the full capabilities of Word for iOS…I believe the fully capable Word is available for free if your device is under 10.5 inches.

There may be other options that will take a compiled document and work better for what you want on iPad than Word, but I haven’t explored this at all. I have a Windows machine on which I can take the final steps for the output I want,

In the two years I’ve had my iPad Air 2 I’ve simply come to the conclusion that the iPad can do most of what I need a computer to do, but not all of it. Scrivener for iOS is a gem, but I’m not sure if the limitations of the compiler are a restriction of the OS or a lack of features on Scrivener’s part.

I fear that to achieve what you want, you’ll need a full computer with Scrivener and other necessary software tools. You can get a Windows computer capable of doing all you want for much less money than a Mac (and I acknowledge that Macs are excellent machines…just expensive).

Finally (and I do tend to go on, sorry), you might poke around more on the Web to find what tools there may be for taking the compiled output and prepping it for output to Amazon. In other words, separate Scrivener from the problem, dealing solely with the output the Scrivener compiler has given you. Perhaps Pages for iPad gives you more options, for instance.

I hope at least I’ve given you some ideas.

I would say limitations of the OS, combined with development priorities on our side of things.

Compiling is the single most complex task that Scrivener does. Assembling a complicated book-length manuscript can require significant resources (time, memory, CPU) on even a high-end desktop machine.

So, given that there are some things that an iOS device simply can’t do, the design and development tradeoff is between marginal upgrades – that still wouldn’t achieve what desktop Scrivener can do – and improvements to parts of the program that are a better fit with the iOS environment. (Or, given that the iOS development team consists of Keith, further enhancements to the desktop version.)

Katherine

Pretty much as I thought. None of this is a complaint…at least not about Scrivener. I think, especially since the release of the latest generation of iPads, that people are realizing the capabilities of iOS haven’t kept up with the iPad hardware. Apple is in the unenviable position of needing to create a truly powerful mobile operating system that combines the power of a desktop OS while still being touch-centric.

This is where Microsoft failed, I think, in Windows 8. Starting with the Surface Pro 3, they created a great piece of hardware hampered by a touch interface that no one was ready for combined with legacy Windows apps that just don’t work well for touch. Maybe Apple can do better if they find a way to inject the power of MacOS with the touch-ability of iOS…and not the other way around, as Microsoft tried to do by bolting a touch interface onto a legacy OS.