(Beta 035) Novel Manuscript Format compile, too many lines

Uninstalled 29, installed 35 today. Compiled my project to a PDF; nice to see the right margin bug fixed, but now it’s compiling with 33 lines on the page, and the text is quite small. In the previous beta this was correct, 25 lines of Courier New size 12.

Any ideas if I’ve got something set wrong, or is this a bug?

Thanks!

Ah, bug only present in the PDF compile - when I compile to RTF, there are the right number of lines, and the text is the right size.

Just to clarify, you’d selected “Novel Standard Manuscript Format” from the “Format As” drop-down menu and then compiled to PDF without changing any settings? Was the font still Courier New or something else as well as being smaller than 12pt?

That’s right.

Courier New, yes. Looks like size 10.

Thanks!

I can confirm this behavior.

When compiling to .pdf, using standard Novel format, there are 33 lines per page. The font appears smaller than it should be.

It compiles with courier new, even though in the expanded dialogue it shows “MS Shell Dlg 2” as the default font, 10 point. Furthermore, any changes made to font or font size don’t stick. No matter what I choose it always comes out looking the same.

This happens for PostScript format as well.

Thanks.

I responded to someone in another email but not here, sorry–looks like a compile bug with the PDF (and I guess Post Script–thanks for that addition!) using the wrong size, some smaller percentage of the size given in the settings. I’ve got this on the list for Lee, as it’s not a problem with the presets but with the compiler itself. You can up the font size to get something more like 12pt on output, but it’s rather an ugly solution, and I’m not sure of the exact percentage here so I don’t know what size you’d really need to ultimately produce 12pt. Hang in there and we’ll get this fixed!

I believe there’s more to it than this; like I said in my post, attempting to choose different fonts and or sizes in the dialogue has zero effect for me. The compile to .pdf looks the same no matter what I choose.

Also, it’s ignoring the page padding (the default is 14 lines, I believe) at the beginning of chapters.

Couldn’t figure out how to edit my last post so I’ll just note it here:

Now that the changelog is live I can see that the page padding bit is done on purpose (my chapter folders are marked format as is). I guess I’ll have to bite the bullet and switch my chapters from the oldschool ‘chapter <$W>’, format as is method to the newer version using chapter autonumbering via compile. I guess.

If you’re not using prefixes anyway, couldn’t you let the folders compile with the overrides rather than “as-is”? I’m sure you have other reasons but if the folder is simply the title, you can choose to not compile the title for folders (so that it just includes the folder document’s text–I’m assuming that’s where you’re using “Chapter <$w>” but of course if that’s the title then you’d want to compile titles) and you won’t need “as-is” to handle the layout since page padding will provide that for you. Of course this is really all dependent on your binder set-up, so it may not be as easy as that if you have a lot of different types of folder documents at the same level, some with some formatting you want to preserve and others without, etc. I guess all I really mean is that this should be doable, but perhaps it’s not as feasible with however you’ve got your novel structured.

Page padding isn’t added to documents compiling as-is because…well, they’re supposed to be as-is. :slight_smile: Basically, a major part of choosing “as-is” is that you’re trying to preserve special formatting and layout, so that includes any padding you’ve done manually with empty lines, etc. or no padding, such as for title pages. Having the padding added to these documents would throw that off significantly. On the other hand, you can just hit “Enter” a bunch of times in your document to provide page padding manually; that might be another option for you.

The whole chapter business isn’t really a problem; I was just expecting the page padding and assumed (prior to the posting of the detailed change log) that its absence may be a bug as well.

That said, that’s all separate from the .pdf compile issues. You’ve mentioned that the font-size is a fraction, but I can’t get ANY other size or font in my pdf compile.

Hm. I can get different sizes in PDF compile, they’re just wrong–for instance, if I compile and set the compile override for that document level/type to TNR size 36, it’s very obviously larger than if the size is set to 12. I know you’re having some other issues changing the font too, though, that I haven’t been able to reproduce yet, so that’s probably related.

Okay - It’s more than just PDF or what not. I can no longer print or preview without entirely losing font size. My 12 pt font looks like 10 or even less.

Doug

So it is ignoring my font choice. I use a commercial Courier font from Bitstream. Previously, when I compiled to open-office, all was well. Now, when I compile to open office, it converts my font to Times Roman. It also single spaces everything even though I ask for double space. I don’t think it used to do that. Bottom line, the fonts in the compiler seem to have across the board issues.

Well my face is red. I hadn’t really mucked about with the compile settings previously (as I’m focusing on writing, not formatting), so my issues with the font size and inability to change font were pure user error. In the compile settings, I hadn’t been actually selecting text in the ‘formatting’ window and then changing the font. I had been just changing the font and expecting it to be applied. Now that I’ve figured out that you have to select the sample text first, then change the font, I’ve had no trouble changing fonts and font sizes.

So the only take-away from that is either that I’m a bit of a thickie or the compile dialogues could use some serious usability tweaking (or both).