I lost text, too, but in my case the lost text --in all cases I’ve found so far-- followed an MSWord Comment. So if I had the line:
we don’t have anything left besides [vodka] but if you bring some orange juice we…
where the square brackets indicate an MSWord Comment, the file after upgrading to Beta 1.4 reads
we don’t have anything left besides vodka
and the rest of the text is gone.
This afternoon I tried taking the same chunk of text, with MSWord Comment, and pasting it into a new file in Scrivener beta 1.4 without it ever having passed through 1.3, and I got
we don’t have anything left besides vodkaLater have her realize how staged this must
have beenbut if you bring some orange juice we…
where the italics indicate the contents of the former MSWord Comment, in a smaller font, now inserted into the file.
The file within Scrivener was created by cutting from an RTF file, by the way, and pasting into Scrivener, rather than using the Import command.
So either 1) the text went missing before I upgraded to 1.4 and I just didn’t notice, or 2) this is an artifact of upgrading, but in any case, text including MSWord Comments, cut and pasted from an RTF into Scrivener beta 1.4, is now apparently fitting without arbitrary deletions into Scrivener. I do however have to go around mopping up the blood from the places where paragraphs have been amputated, which I’m doing by going back to the latest RTF file, displaying comments, and then finding those places in the Scrivener file, determining what’s lost and retrieving it. Except that FIND doesn’t seem to be working as expected in Scriv 1.4, but that’s a separate conversation.