[Beta 13]: Exclude specific characters from spelling check

I have reported several problems with current spelling (using UK English dictionary, but I think some are common to other dictionaries). Many seem to arise from certain characters (e.g. numerals) being treated as alphabetic characters and so any series of characters that includes them gets a squiggly red underline to show that it’s a mistake. Examples include ratios and times (e.g. 3:1 or 12:35pm).

I’ve had no response from the devs, who are presumably very busy with more urgent matters, so I have done a bit of digging.

Scrivener 3.0 uses a public domain spelling checker called Hunspell, whose dictionaries have two parts: a .dic file (word list) and and affix file (.aff) that includes various rules, such as the character encoding needed for the language. I can see from the various bits of online documentation that an affix file can contain an “exclude” command. See: http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/xenial/man5/hunspell.5.html

The limited documentation I’ve found suggests that this command ought to allow you to specify that certain characters can be excluded from the spelling check:

However, I have not been able to find the “ignore.* test” file that is mentions, nor any explanation or examples of how to use this command.

Is there anyone on these forums who knows more about his and could help?

You can try looking at the source code here: sourceforge.net/projects/hunspell/

I pulled it down just now and I’m still trying to follow along with how Scrivener is using this.

Per https://superuser.com/questions/588548/make-hunspell-ignore-leading-and-trailing-single-quote-characters-apostrophes, add to the .aff file:

IGNORE '    

However, at least one user reports this does not work.

I checked a language where “IGNORE” is part of the affix file (Arabic), and it seems the characters immediately follow the IGNORE keyword. It is placed BEFORE the KEY keyword, and right after the TRY keyword. I don’t read Arabic, so can’t tell you what’s in that line, but the line is there.

Sadly it doesn’t work. The documentation simply includes the paragraph I quoted previously and the general information is way to technical for me.

I’ll see what more I can find on it. There isn’t much. Evidently most folks don’t use this feature.