Beta 14: Project Metadata in Compile Window Is a Step Backward

Having the project metadata in the compile window (Title, Abbreviated Title, Authors, Forename, Surname, Subject, and Keywords) instead of part of the Project Settings is a step backward because when working with multiple projects, the writer has to continually change the values in the compile window. In Version 1, this information was part of the project properties, so no matter which project you compiled, it had the correct information.

Your stated philosophy is that writers should be able to work as they wish, not be forced to conform to the software, but moving the project metadata to the compile window only makes sense if you never expect writers to work on more than one project at a time, and that isn’t realistic.

If this isn’t a bug, please reconsider. Of course you know best about coding Scrivener, but to avoid altering the complexities of the compile module, one suggestion is to leave the compile module as it is, already reading the project metadata from somewhere on the disk. Just have the same project specific metadata saved somewhere else with the other project related data from the Project Settings. Then before calling the compile, overwrite the data the compile uses with the data from the current project; the compile window will always show the project metadata from the project that launched it. Writers are happy, and the compile process hasn’t changed.

Just my suggestion to help make a better tool.

Thanks,
Miik

If you do not fill the compile meta data values, the project info will be used. If not working as described, it is a bug to be fixed.

Where would I specify the project info? I haven’t seen any fields for entering Title, Authors, etc. other than those in the compile window.

Options->General->Author Information

As for the ProjectTitle, that is entered in the Compile window, per the Windows Placeholders document (Windows_placeholders.pdf).

[quote=“Miik”]
Having the project metadata in the compile window (Title, Abbreviated Title, Authors, Forename, Surname, Subject, and Keywords) instead of part of the Project Settings is a step backward because when working with multiple projects, the writer has to continually change the values in the compile window. In Version 1, this information was part of the project properties, so no matter which project you compiled, it had the correct information.

Hello.

I do agree with Miik’s observation. I think that placing common project metadata in the compile window instead of keeping them in the Project Settings window is counterintuitive and a step backward. I suppose it’s too late to change this characteristic, but I needed to put it on record.

Thanks.

The responses to Miik’s observation indicate that there are two places to put the information: the project-specific settings and the compile settings. If you fill in both then the compile settings will override. This is a feature, not a bug, as it allows one to set the baseline defaults (all except for the title) in the project settings and then override them as needed when you are compiling specific targets.

Thanks for your quick response.

I haven’t been able to find a project-specific setting to put the project title or the author’s information other than the compile settings. In Scrivener 1.9 this project-specific information was placed with the metadata configuration:

Scrv 1.9 - Project setting include placeholders.png

In Scrivener 3.0 things have moved, and I don’t think that is a bug but a designer decision that I understand (author’s information is likely to be the same across projects for most users) but I don’t agree with (at least, regarding the project title and abbreviated title), that I think should be more handy. In my post I was just expressing my opinion.

Thanks again for your time.

Above your post in the thread:

Yes, that’s precisely my point: the Author information is now placed in the program settings, thus affecting all projects. It is no longer project specific as it was in Scrivener 1.9. To change that information in a specific project, now we have to go to the compile settings instead of the project settings.

Regarding the ProjectTitle, in my opinion it would make more sense if placed with the rest of project settings, as it was in Scrivener 1.9. But that, again, is my opinion.

Thanks for your time.

I may be misinterpreting what you’ve been saying, but to re-state:

You think that the compile window’s (right-side-pane) metadata settings (Title, Authors, Fore-name) are global to all projects in the version 3 beta?

If so, that’s incorrect. Change the Title, Authors, Fore-name, etc… information in the compile window (right-size pane) in one project, and compile (or hold ALT key and click Save). Then go to another project, and change the same metadata in it’s compile window. Each project will maintain its own, separate values in the compile window’s metadata pane. That stuff, and all of the other options on the right side of the compile window, are project-specific.

If you want to avoid having globally-applied values, do no put those values into the File->Options->General->Author Info pane, which is global.

Again, apologies if I’m not following the conversation closely enough to see your point properly.

On the contrary, thanks for your contribution. It seems that, eventually, I just have to adapt to a new way of doing things. Normally I don’t use the compile function so it’s a bit unfamiliar to me. But I’ll get used :slight_smile: