Better Kindle Compile Options for Windows

As I am writing a lot of Kindle Books using Scrivener, the biggest thing I am missing are the much better compile for Kindle options that are available on the Mac version.

I would like much more control of the Table of Contents format for example.

At the moment it creates it adequately automatically, but it has a number of niggles.

1/ You cannot specify which page your readers see first when they first open up the .mobi file on the kindle.

2/ You cannot specify sub-headings to appear in the table of contents - In a non-fiction book where you have longer chapters and lots of sub-headings this would be really useful. It also makes the book look better for the 10% “See Inside” feature that people can access directly from Amazon.

3/ Cannot use Convert Scrivener Links to HTML in TOC - If this was possible then you could at least get finer control over the TOC. I think there are so many uses for this that not having it as an option in the Windows version makes a big deal.

I am not sure what percentage of your sales come from people writing for Kindle, but I suspect it is now quite significant. So it would be good to get some really fine control in Scrivener in the windows version of this.

P.S I also find that the “Cover” option in the windows version when you go to compile for .mobi is very buggy.

I have imported a ton of images into my projects, but it never shows any of them as options to set as the cover image, so that is a bug that could do with fixing.

Thank you, all of these things are on our list of things to do as a matter of fact, if not directly as features, at least as capabilities based on the expanded role of general purpose features. For example you will have the ability to design your own ToC page like a text file, including only those things you wish to have included along with any auxiliary text (like sub-titles) you may wish to use. You’ll then be able to specifiy this text file in your compile settings so it will be used instead of the automatically generated ToC. Additionally the problem with Scrivener Links not correctly linking to the section they link to in the published e-book is a known bug that needs to be fixed. The link does convey, you may have noticed, but it points to a non-existent entity in the book.

They must have been imported into text files. Scrivener only scans the Binder for pictures, as it would potentially take many minutes to conjure the contents of this drop-down menu if it had to trawl through hundreds of RTF files looking for graphics.

Great. When you say “only scans the binder” for images, what do I need to do then to get them to show up as an option for the cover?

All I am doing is writing a book directly in scrivener in the draft section (isn’t that in the binder?) Then, as and when I need an image in the text I go to Edit > Insert > Image from File.

What is the actual process to have an image imported in such a way that it shows up as option in compile to be a cover image?

I can’t see any way of doing it.

To get an image directly into the binder, drag it in or go to File->Import->Files. The destination must be somewhere besides your Draft folder (Research is perfectly acceptable location but any other location besides the Draft folder will work).

Thanks. That worked.

I have to say I think Scrivener handles this in a very odd way.

That process isn’t remotely intuitive.

Why not also have a “Browse” function directly on the “Cover Page” tab in the “Compile” Section so you can directly import it from their?

By definition the cover page is only one page. So choosing it directly from in that area strikes me as making considerably more sense then the phaff it currently is.

Every time I look at that page in compile it just doesn’t make sense to me why it wouldn’t let you import an image from directly in the compile screen?

So I guess that could go down as a “Wish List” request as well :slight_smile:

Because if it did it that way, it would have to be saved into the Compile settings, so if you switched Compile settings you’d lose it and would have to choose it again. Also, in all fairness, the Compile interface actually tells you that the image must already be in the project:

So as long as you’ve been through Scrivener’s tutorial and understand the basics of importing files into the project, everything you need to know is right there in the interface.

All the best,
Keith

I have been through the tutorial when I first got the software, and read a couple of books on it.

So clearly that either passed me by, or I had forgotten it. Which also tends to reinforce my point that this isn’t intuitive.

And your right it does have that message. However, that message is actuially not very helpful in solving the problem, so perhaps you could think about changing it?

I actually googled it before first posting, and had a look on the videos on the site, but could find no mention of how to do this.

Having kept on importing images into the project it made no sense to me why none of them were available for the cover.

Importing them into the research area is not an intuitive thing to do. And that is not what the message says. Here I am writing a book. I am now compiling the book. If that book isn’t the 'project" then what is? I am not sure why the research area is more of a ‘project’ then the actual place where I write all the text?

In terms of not having a browse button in compile, I am not sure I follow your line of thought. After all, in order to keep the same metadata every time you compile (without re-doing it) you have to load a preset that you have already saved anyway. Why couldn’t the preset also remember what you had set for the cover? You wouldn’t after all be changing it very often.

The message clearly says that the image needs to be imported into the project. You don’t have to import the image into the Research folder, but anywhere in the project, as long as it is an image file. You can’t import image files into the Draft folder, as is well-established in the Tutorial and because the Draft folder is for text only, but you can import it anywhere else.

Anyway, I’m glad you’re now up and running.