Binder Affect

Hi Keith,

I was wondering if the Menu bar Item:

Scrivener > View > Binder Affects

should be

Scrivener > View > Binder Effects

Affect is related to feeling and cognitive experience, and Effect is related to consequence.

While ‘affect’ can be used to signify change, that change is an effect:
affect (as in “change”) v. : act physically on; have an effect upon.

I think you mean that the ‘consequence’ of selecting an editor in Binder Affects is that the choice will have an effect.

Hope this doesn’t come across as pedantic - it does sound a bit that way - but since this is the best writers’ application in the world it is probably worth giving consideration to little things like that. After all, we all want it to evoke the ‘zen’ affect so that it will have a positive effect on our writing.

I am really loving Scrivener.

It has given me so much free time to think and cogitate that I can even spend some of it on trivia such as this.

:smiley:

Having already established my pedantic credentials on the subject of “Option” versus “Alt,” I think Keith got it right here. This “Affects” is a verb whose object is the selected item of the submenu, e.g., “Binder Affects Current Editor.” That’s proper English, whereas “Binder Effects Current Editor” would be wrong. (“Binder Effects a Change in Current Editor” would be technically right too, but still the wrong choice.)

Andy

ahc and Keith have it right. Actually, to be even more pedantic, affect does indeed have a noun form, but it is generally restricted to usage within the psychology community. One has a flattened affect if they are suffering from some emotional disorder that inhibits full spectrum emotional response.

Glad people have already answered this one. Indeed, an effect is the reulst of something affecting something else: when the binder only affects one editor, the effect is that it does not affect the other. :slight_smile: In fact, it drives me crazy when people use “effect” as a verb when they really mean “affect”. A bit like when people use “loose” for “lose” or “then” for “than”.
Pedantically yours,
Keith

Yes Keith, I was effected by your answer, it had a warming affect.

Sort of guessed the choice was both poetic and deliberate. Top drawer!

I was confused by the alternative versions of Affect and Effect on the Editor.

I weighed up the thesaurus definitions before I posted:

affect (as in “feeling”) n. : the conscious subjective aspect of feeling or emotion

affect (as in “change”) v. : have an effect upon; “Will the new rules affect me?”

affect (as in “change”) v. : act physically on; have an effect upon

affect (as in “involve”) v. : connect closely and often incriminatingly; “This new ruling affects your business”

affect (as in “feign”) v. : make believe; “He feigned that he was ill”; “He shammed a headache”

affect (as in “affect”) v. : have an emotional or cognitive impact upon; “This child impressed me as unusually mature”; “This behavior struck me as odd”

effect (as in “consequence”) n. : a phenomenon that follows and is caused by some previous phenomenon; “the magnetic effect was greater when the rod was lengthwise”; “his decision had depressing consequences for business”; “he acted very wise after the event”

effect (as in “impression”) n. : an outward appearance; “he made a good impression”; “I wanted to create an impression of success”; “she retained that bold effect in her reproductions of the original painting”

effect (as in “validity”) n. : (of a law) having legal validity; “the law is still in effect”

effect (as in “symptom”) n. : a symptom caused by an illness or a drug; “the effects of sleep loss”; “the effect of the anesthetic”

effect (as in “impression”) n. : an impression (especially one that is artificial or contrived); “he just did it for effect”

effect (as in “meaning”) n. : the central meaning or theme of a speech or literary work

effect (as in “cause”) v. : cause to happen or occur; “The scientists set up a shockwave”

effect (as in “act”) v. : act so as to bring about; “effect a change”

I sort of saw the Editor being changed as the ‘consequence’ of a choice to bring about or effect a change by selecting either Current Editor, Left Editor or Right Editor. Both can be used as nouns and as verbs. I didn’t put that all in though because I didn’t want to come across as too pedantic. But as you rightly say, the Binder affect is to act to effect a change and bring about a consequence.

Hell! I miss chewing over the betas. Couldn’t you invent something else to occupy our minds?

Affect feels good to me! :smiley: