Binder Entries as Section Headings

I would like to use the names of different sections in the binder as sections in the compiled document. Starting with this:

The end result should look like this:

Introduction

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Velit laoreet id donec ultrices tincidunt arcu non. Morbi tristique senectus et netus et. Bibendum at varius vel pharetra vel turpis. Consequat interdum varius sit amet mattis vulputate. Morbi tempus iaculis urna id volutpat lacus laoreet non. Augue interdum velit euismod in pellentesque massa placerat.

January

Bibendum at varius vel pharetra vel turpis. Consequat interdum varius sit amet mattis vulputate. Morbi tempus iaculis urna id volutpat lacus laoreet non. Augue interdum velit euismod in pellentesque massa placerat. Elementum curabitur vitae nunc sed velit dignissim sodales ut eu.

February

Convallis aenean et tortor at risus viverra adipiscing. Nunc eget lorem dolor sed viverra ipsum nunc aliquet. Risus feugiat in ante metus dictum at tempor commodo. Sit amet est placerat in egestas erat imperdiet. Cras ornare arcu dui vivamus arcu felis bibendum ut tristique. Nulla posuere sollicitudin aliquam ultrices sagittis orci a scelerisque. Diam sit amet nisl suscipit adipiscing bibendum est ultricies integer.

etc.

I’d like to end up with a Word document upon Compile.

Do you want each document to start on a fresh page in the output file? Or, would you prefer them all to continue on the same document?

To have each treated as a new chapter, you’ll use the “Assign Section Layouts” button on the main compile panel to assign a section layout to those documents that includes a section title and body text in its example.

Depending on the compile format you’re using, those options might have page breaks shown on the examples. If you don’t want the page breaks, you can customize your compile settings to remove them, while retaining the document titles as headings.

For more on customizing the compile settings, you might review our 4-part series titled “Getting Your Work Out” on the Mac tutorial videos page.

The Interactive Tutorial also has some documents about the compile process You can access it from the Help menu. And, Chapters 23 and 24 in the Scrivener manual go into detail on the settings and customization process. The manual is also available from the Help menu.

I’d prefer them all to continue on the same document.
I’m using the defaults.
Since 3.0, Compile is a mystery.

If you haven’t watched the 4-part compile videos, I recommend starting there. They’ll demonstrate the entire process, including how to access the compile designer panel where you can customize your settings.

Then, you might want to spend some time testing out the different compile formats to see how they affect the text. The Interactive Tutorial is a good tool for this. It has a nice selection of different documents in its binder, but it’s not a project that has your own work in it.

That takes some of the pressure off, in my experience. Using it, you can try out different compile formats and even test the compile customization process, which is what you’ll need to get the output results you’re wanting.

To customize your settings, you’ll select the compile format you’d like to use. Double-clicking it will bring up a panel asking you if you’d like to “Duplicate & Edit” that format. Confirming that will take you into the compile designer panel.

Here, you can name this format and decide if you want it to be saved to your Project Formats, which are only for this project. Or, if you select “My Formats,” you’ll have these settings available in other projects.

In the left-hand column, the Separators options house the settings you’ll want to change so that your documents do not have a Page Break for each document. I’ll attach a screenshot from my Mac showing that panel.

In it, the section layouts that I’ve assigned on the main compile panel are bolded in the “Section Layouts” area. For my chapter, I’d want to change the Separators options here to have each document compile without page breaks.

Here’s an example:

compile is really simple