Binder item apparently invisible in hierarchy

Hi - this one has got me completely stumped - any pointers will be gratefully received.

I’m using Scrivener to write presentations for lectures using MMD->Latex and the beamer class. I’ve adjusted things so the second level in the hierarchy below ‘draft’ translates into \part – this is for major lecture topics, then the next level is for \sections.

One of the items at the \part level is being ignored at compile. The items under it (ie at the next level down) are being included in the second-level (\part) item before it, and there it doesn’t appear in any form in the .tex file that Scrivener compiles.

Using the formatting tab of the compile dialogue shows that Scrivener is ignoring it. I’ve posted a screenshot to show this here (the item in question is ‘Structure of this course’):

twitter.com/UoMBuddhism/status/ … 6402666496

I’ve tried creating a new item at the same level and moving the contents into that, but the problem is the same, suggesting it’s something about the contents rather than the container.

Thanks for any ideas!

Jon

Is Structure… a different document type to the other documents that appear to be on the same level? Is it a folder, but the other files are text docs? When you click through the section types, at what point does Scrivener pick Structure… up and highlight it?

[attachment=0]image.jpg[/attachment]

Hi

Thanks for the reply.

It turns out that ‘Structure…’ is highlighted along with ‘Lecture 1’, so it’s being treated as if it’s one level up in the hierarchy than its position would indicate.

Is there some way to demote it in the hierarchy apart from just moving it around in the binder?

Thanks again,

Jon

Ah - and in response to your question about what kind of document it was, it was a folder, whereas other items at the same level were files. I converted to file and the problem is solved, so thanks!

I’m not sure I understand the principle that explains this behaviour, but it’s working, so that’s great!

Jon

Glad to hear you got the issue sorted out.

Good luck with the lectures.

Ta!

The formatting table considers two pieces of information: the item’s type and its level in the hierarchy. Since your “Structure…” item was a folder, it followed the rules of the Folder group for its level. In the image above, all the levels are treated the same, indicated by the “1+”–level 1 plus all items of the same type below it includes such and such elements and gets such and such formatting. Document Groups (non-folder items that have subdocuments) get a different set of rules, though again here all levels of document groups are being treated the same. Likewise for single documents.

Thus, switching your “Structure” document’s type from folder to document (making it a document group, as it has subdocuments) caused it to follow the rules set up for the document group type rather than the folder type.

Got it – that makes sense now – thanks for explaining. Always impressed with how configurable Scrivener is!