Binder on the Right Side, More Split views

Big fan, love the program, this’ll keep me a Mac fan for sure. My own wish list (for 2.0 maybe?)…

1. Ability to have the Binder on The Right Side
    As a lefty, I would love to be able to put the Binder on either side, but particularly the right side. I don’t use the inspector at all, but maybe others would like to choose which side binder/inspector goes on.

2. More Split Views Windows
    I constantly make use of the vertical-split to have two documents open at once–easily one of my favorite features in Scrivener. I have a big computer screen, and greedy sort that I am, would love to be able to have even more windows open in one project! Theoretically as many as could fit. As it is now, I “fake” this by actually having two projects open with four open documents, and I move things back and forth that way. But obviously, there’s benefits to having all those open docs in one Scrivener project, convenience wise and clutter wise. How hard would that be?

So there!
Great job, great program, great scott,
RC

Hi RC,

Thanks for the kind words.

Actually, in some very early sketches and PhotoShop mock-ups I created of Scrivener, before I started coding it, I tried the binder on the right-hand side, as I liked the idea of keeping the main focus - the text - on the left. I didn’t work out, though; the disclosure triangles and the direction of the text just seems to point to the right; that is, it felt very odd navigating on the right. Also, of course, it is highly unorthodox - just about any program with a source list places it on the left. So I’m afraid this is unlikely. It wouldn’t be impossible to have it as an option, though it may be awkward, but not for 2.0.

2.0 will hopefully introduce the ability to open documents in more windows. The main interface will stick to two split views, as that works nicely in the way they interact with one another, and I find things get too busy in apps that allow you to keep splitting the editor indefinitely. So instead you should be able to open documents in individual windows. This is on the plan, although I have yet to implement it, and I’m already behind schedule. :frowning:

Thanks and all the best,
Keith

Awww, struck out twice!

Oh well, I’ll stick to my “fake” 4 windows (sometimes 6!) for the time being.

(I tried using the “Project Notes” on the Inspector as a fake third window, but it wasn’t the same. I couldn’t get rid of the “Synopsis” and “General” collapse-thingies, so that ate up some real estate, and obviously, you couldn’t sort it about like a normal document. I tried using that floating notepad, but might as well just open another project. Stymied!)

Anyway, thanks for the response, and keep up the great work,
It really is one of the best apps I’ve ever used, fantastic,

RC

Do you have some things you can slot for 2.05? :mrgreen:

:smiley:

The way the extra windows are going to be implemented will be cool, though… They will be in HUD windows, so that they will feel at home in full screen too. So you could open up full screen, set the “paper” to appear on the left, and then have two or three HUD windows with other documents open on the right. I think this is a better solution than multiple splits just because of how cluttered too many splits can get (and the relationship between splits currently and the “open selected documents in alternate editor” button etc).

Thanks again for the kind words!

Best,
Keith

Shows you how tech-savvy I am (not), I had to look up what HUD meant. (Still not totally sure)!

It seems they’re floating transparent windows (heads-up display)? Like the current notepad thingie?

Interesting–though I like the purity of one open project window with multiple view windows, for the clean aesthetic of not having floating thingies. (I already have that by opening multiple documents in my “fake” mode.)

But anyway, I can’t wait. The idea of more multiple open documents of ANY kind is exciting! I love the idea of being able to have them open and going from one to one like quickly. Cool!

Again, keep up the great work,
RC

It’s the US Office of Housing and Urban Development. :wink:

(Alternatively, and more likely in this case, it’s a “Heads-Up Display.”)

Definitely a Hospital Unit Dose.

It’s the US Office of Housing and Urban Development

Heh, that was one of the first things that came up when I Googled it. I figured that prob’ly wasn’t what KB was referencin’.

RC

Heads-Up Display. :slight_smile: Don’t blame me, it’s the term Apple use for those translucent black panels.

I know what you mean about the purity of having everything in the window, but honestly, I’ve seen other apps attempt this, and it ain’t pretty. Imagine having five or six splits of different orientation open, working out which one the inspector refers to, which one is locked and which isn’t, which one the binder is set to affect (if you have set up the “binder affects…” option), what will happen when you click on a card in one of the views that has “selection affects other editor” selected and so on.

Best,
Keith

I don’t see a problem here.

Not that I particularly like or dislike this particular idea, but couldn’t you label the editor panes something like A, B, C, D, E with a little indicator in the upper right corner. Then the above would be

You would only need this naming once you have more than 2 editors open.

Lots of work. getting 2.0 out should be more important though. poke

[size=85]I know what you mean about the purity of having everything in the window, but honestly, I’ve seen other apps attempt this, and it ain’t pretty. Imagine having five or six splits of different orientation open, working out which one the inspector refers to, which one is locked and which isn’t, which one the binder is set to affect (if you have set up the “binder affects…” option), what will happen when you click on a card in one of the views that has “selection affects other editor” selected and so on.[/size]

I won’t belabour the point (too late!), since it doesn’t seem to be catchin’ on, but as I say, I “fake” it with up to six windows (on three separate projects lined up as one), and I make that work, and it’s much more ungainly than if they were actually were in one window. And if people can figure out two views, they surely could figure out multiples–if they wanted. (If not, they just don’t have to open that many.) It would just be nice to have that choice. I know I would… go… NUTS! Love it! And it would be really useful and convenient, which is why I like Scrivener in the first place.

Anyway–!

I do look forward to the HUD version–now that I know what that is!–and until then, I’ll just keep doin’ my makeshift cool fake-o mega-window(s)!

Thanks,
RC