blank lines between paras in a document

I’ve looked and can’t find this. sorry if it’s a well known thing and my eyes just don’t see it.

sometimes i put more than one paragraph in a document. i’d like my paragraphs to have a blank line between them, when compiling to text. (yes, i could type the extra return but didn’t that go out about the time of the typewriter? and if i did, then the compiled text and the displayed text would still look different)

is there a setting somewhere to make Scrivener do this?

Thanks!

Click the arrows on the icon noted with number 1 below and choose “other”.

This opens a new window (2) where you can set the spacing you want before / after each paragraph.

If you want to apply the setting to all the paragraphs, select them all (CMD A) and then make the adjustments you want. As with any big global change, press CMD S first of all to save the file in its current state.

[attachment=0]paragraph spacing.png[/attachment]

Thanks … I’m compiling to TEXT, however, and these settings have no effect.
There is spacing between documents but would like my paras to come out with spacing as shown …

I don’t know a way of making it type two new-paras with one keystroke, but you could use what Briar Kit suggests for the visual appearance while working in Scrivener, and then you could try using “Replacements” in the Compile options, setting it up to replace one CR with two CRs … I think you’d have to turn on Regex for that and use \n … \n is the regex code used by Nisus for Return in search and replace, so I imagine it would be the same in Scrivener. Somebody will come along and correct me, I suppose!

Mr X

As Mr X suggests, you can do this in replacements.

In “replace” type a carriage return (ALT Carriage Return)

In “with” type two carriage returns (ALT Carriage Return Carriage Return)

Or you could output to text sans replacements, open the file in TextEdit and then replace single carriage returns with double carriage returns to give you blank lines between paragraphs.

My point about turning on regex for this purpose, is that you can actually see what you’re doing. When I tried using Opt-Return there was nothing visible … I guess it probably worked — if only you could have “show invisibles” in such places — and I didn’t think to see if the cursor had moved down a line. But then I use “Powerfind Pro” in NWP, so that was the solution that immediately came to me.

Mr X (the forumite previously known as Mark)

Would definitely help to be able to see the invisibles—though I don’t know of any way to turn them on in the replace/with fields.

Was just suggesting it as a simple alternative. Regex may well be more suitable and useful.

Yes, I’m no Ioa … but some things like \n for a carriage return, \t for a Tab-character are easy and useful.

:smiley:

Mr X

Edit: So for instance, to get rid of tabs at the beginnings of first lines of paragraphs, it’s just “Find” ^/t and leave “Replace with” empty and away you go!

Actually, for this, you can use Briar Kit’s initial suggestion of adding “Paragraph spacing after”, and then use the “Convert to plain text” option in the Transformations tab of Compile.

All the best,
Keith

Thanks for the replace ideas. I’m sure they’'ll be useful.

The convert to plain text one seems to do the job as well for my purposes. Gives me three blank lines but I’m guessing I can fiddlle that down. Maybe that’s inter-document.

Seems like the plain text (and multi-=markdown) outputs are a bit the ugly stepchild, but with target “publication” like wordpress and lean pub, that’s the route I’ll have to be going. I can write a post-processor but that seems a bit off.

Thanks!! Good stuff!

Not really. They are as solid as all of the other compile options - you can straighten quotes and turn other features to plain text. And you don’t get many plain text exports that allow you to convert rich text line spacing and indents to plain text line breaks and tabs, so I’m not sure what else Scrivener could do to accommodate plain text users, really.

All the best,
Keith

Here’s one:

When you compile to markdown, and include title and synopsis, Scrivener inserts

Title
Synopsis lorem etc

And you cannot remove Title nor attach different markdown to it, because the checkbox to edit the RTF panel is not enabled… Of course the markdown export is not formally part of Scrivener, so perhaps one can’t complain.

It’s a great program, no doubt about that. I do love it. There are just a few spots …

But you can remove all of that… Check out “Options…” and “Section Layout…” in the “Formatting” Compile pane. You have complete control over what gets exported.

All the best,
Keith

Wow! I think that’ll likely do what I need! Well spotted: the MultiMarkdown people weren’t able to point me to that.

I’ll report back if I get more trouble, but I think that’s it. Great! Thanks!