Blank Spaces In Scrivener

Hi,

So I have a 340 plus page draft novel which, in overall view mode (where you see the whole novel as a single document and not chapters or sub-chapters) and I am going through the whole thing trying to find and replace “nothing words” like “very” and I find big blank spaces in the document. If I switch to looking at the individual sub-chapters it’s all there though so the information isn’t lost.

The project was on Dropbox which I thought might have been the issue but it persists when I copied the project back locally it was the same so something else is happening.

Any ideas?

Thx

Keke

I’m a bit confused about what you mean by blank spaces.

I think you’re saying that you are searching for and replacing words like “very” in the text while in “scrivenings mode” (where you view multiple documents in the editor as one long stream of text). Are you not seeing those words, but just spaces where the words should be? Or are you seeing vertical space between where one document ends and the next begins?

I think a screenshot might be the easiest way to show what the issue is, if you can manage one.

A large document that isn’t loading quickly when scanning through using search and replace, even though the text really does exist?

That sounds like an issue with Windows or the PC not rendering the display quickly enough to match the pace of the search activity.

This sounds like a display bug that can occur when using Scrivenings mode (loading the text of multiple documents together)–the text isn’t lost, it’s just not showing correctly in this mode. It usually occurs in a large Scrivenings session–a lot of files or very long ones–or at a higher editor zoom. Try selecting just a few of the documents you’re working with (Ctrl+click in the binder) rather than loading the complete Draft. That may get it all loading properly for you.

Thx for the replies guys.

Perhaps one way might be to break my book up into sections a bit like a play (Act 1, Act 2 etc.) … I’m not entirely sure that will work but it has to be worth a go.

Keke