Block quote exit strategy

I established a block quote preserved at the end of a section. I want to add text beneath the quote, but I can’t seem to get out of the quote. No matter what I do (have done so far) the program simply continues the new text within the quote.

I place the cursor at the end of the quote, hit return, reformat and start typing but the box appears and traps my text. I tried typing then selecting, reformatting, but the program just changes the format WITHIN the quote box. What to do?

You can turn that blue box off with Format/Formatting/Preserve Formatting, if that is what you mean. Otherwise using the “Body” preset is a handy way to get out of any custom formatting, so long as it has been updated to your preferences.

It doesn’t sound like you understand what I mean.
I want a preserved block quote, but when I continue typing after the block quote the BQ format continues to capture the text I’m entering. I’ve tried to exit the BQ format by highlighting the text and selecting Body, but the program changes the format within the blue BQ box.

Yeah, I’m not sure what you mean then. If I have a paragraph with alternate formatting (say, blockquote) in a Preserve Format box, when I get to the end of the block and want to resume typing in normal text, I use the Format/Formatting/Preserve Formatting menu command to disable preservation, press return, and then use the Body preset to go back to normal. This doesn’t impact the prior paragraph for me.

I was able to circumvent the issue by cutting the block quote, entering some text and pasting the BQ back in place.

It worked out, but this is an obnoxious problem to deal with in the middle of a session and I shouldn’t have to “circumvent” issues of basic formatting b/c there shouldn’t be issues with basic formatting. Right? :\

In other words, I’d like to know how to flow from a block quote preserved format back into body format without having to cut and paste, because I still don’t know if I’m doing what I should be doing.

And you just answered my question. There’s a drop down icon in the tool bar that has a preset for “essay BQ (preserved)” that turns on the preserve option in the main Format menu. I didn’t know to go there to turn preserve off until just now when you suggested it. Thank you.

If you’re doing it a lot–needing to turn off (or on) Preserve Formatting–you might want to set up a keyboard shortcut for it to make it a little speedier, if you’re keyboard sort of person. This wiki page gives the steps for doing that if you’re not familiar with the process (it’s just setting up shortcuts via the OS System Preferences).

What I tend to do with streaming-formatting rich text systems like Scrivener’s is retroformatting. With the exception of inline stuff like bold and italics, I never style a paragraph until I’m done with it and have typed a bit into the next. Then I Opt-Up, apply a style, and Cmd-Down to get back. I’m not sure if that is actually superior, but it lets me pause when I’m ready at any rate, and not just because the paragraph changed. I suppose one could also take the same approach and continue typing in the wrong formatting and then correct the paragraph(s) once a pausing moment is reached.

Either way, the idea is to not worry about formatting until you have a moment to do so. Ideally, all word processing would be block based what-you-see-is-what-you-mean style writing, but the industry never went that way. We ended up with streaming formats and invisible codes because it looks nicer. Since Scrivener uses the OS X engine it’s kind of bound by its principles (without major rewrites). So there are a lot of things like this that “would be nice”, but would probably represent many months of work to change because many wheels would have to be reinvented.