Blogging & Markdown Set Up

Has anyone made a video (or other format) of how to adapt to use Scrivener for blogging?
Has anyone made a template?

Specifically I would like to see how people set it up to be working on multiple blog posts - Do you make each one a folder? I am fairly new to Scrivener.

Is there a video that shows how to use Markdown in Scrivener? I did not see it in the list. Or can I just write in HTML/CSS commands in my writing? I am new to Markdown as well.

I blog in self hosted WordPress. In case you want to see how I usually make a blog post look, here is the link: http://DancingUpsideDown.com

Perhaps you’ve seen this discussion? It’s quite recent:

https://forum.literatureandlatte.com/t/scrivener-for-blogging/17964/5

Depending on your platform (Mac, Win or Linux) there are also handy blog posting apps that can take the content from a Scriv page for upload to your blog.

IMHO, my preferred choice would be to use Scriv as the original repository for my posts and their organization. There is the choice of using formatted RTF, or preferably, using plaintext with Markdown coding so one can quite easily include links (Markdown has a ridiculously easy link markup method.) Whether to use the MultiMarkdown export feature of Scriv, or to simply copy the .md.txt into a blog-post app that has a Markdown translator built-in, or to paste directly to your blog, such as Wordpress, if it already has a Markdown plug-in installed – all is a matter of personal preference.

At any rate, Scriv won’t post directly to your blog, but it is a wonderful pre-assembly kit for everything beforehand.

Yes, I have seen and read that discussion - before I asked the question here. However, I had missed the links to the services and apps. Thank you for pointing those out.

I still would love to hear from someone who is actually using Scrivener for all their blog posting; especially if there is someone on the forum who is either a science or medical writer. The reasons I am considering using Scrivener for my blog is that I am often referencing multiple research papers as I write my posts.

I am using Scrivener for a book I am working on, but blog posting is different. I suppose I can consider each post a chapter. I will try that out.

However, if anyone else is using Scrivener for writing blog posts, feel free to chime in.

I would like to see that, too.

I would also like to be able to sync with *.md files.

I use Scrivener all the time for blog or news postings. How to organize depends on, in the end, the length of our blog posts. For me the blog posts are typically fairly short (600 words or less) with images. I use Markdown and Multimarkdown for the whole thing.

My main “conversion” tool is Marked (currently at 1.4, soon at 1.5 which is in beta). Marked can be set up so it “reads” an entire Scrivener project, or you can export MMD to a Text file and have Marked convert to HTML (for Wordpress or other web software).

Organization is up to your needs. Since my entries tend to be shortish, I’ll use one file per entry. As an example, I’m currently creating a course website (I work in educational psychology) with Scrivener. The “news” (read: blog) page is one folder in that setup. I then have subfolders by month, then files per entry. But there’s nothing magical about this arrangement, another organization may work better for you.

However, once I realized I could use multimarkdown and Scrivener to write my complete website content, that was a BIG change in how I did things. Typically software design programs aren’t great for writing. But, for me, the “magic sauce” is using Marked in conjunction with Scrivener. (Note: Marked is Mac only, however other solutions exist for Windows users.)

If you decide to use Marked (a markdown “previewer”) then I suggest contacting the developer Brett Terpstra directly: there will soon be a 1.5 release but I’m not sure if he will do that on the Mac App store or take it off and only sell directly. Here’s the link:
markedapp.com

Hope this helps a bit. Glad to answer further questions if needed. (Over the next 3 days I’m traveling from Vietnam to Korea to San Francisco, so there may be a delay in response.)

Oops, missed some of the questions.

Yes, you can add HTML easily. You probably want to be careful about adding CSS (on my web design app this wouldn’t be the place to do it), but there’s nothing about CSS per se that would screw things up.

I have a very incomplete web area about markdown here:
mathewmitchell.net/tutorials/markdown/

If you click on the “write” button you’ll see a tutorial about markdown. (Specifically it shows how to use Markdown with Byword, but about 90% of the content applies to Scrivener.)

For academics (and many others) you’ll typically want some of the advanced features of multimarkdown.

There’s a few issues involved, but for fairly simple work the Scrivener MMD to HTML conversion works completely fine. I’ve added key HTML to my documents, things that are complicated enough that the Scrivener conversion doesn’t handle it well. That’s partly where Marked becomes useful to me. (Besides I really like Marked’s “copy as HTML” command so I can easily paste the resulting document into my web software.)