Blogs, articles and HTML

HI.
Just started using Scrivener. I write articles and blogs on my website, quite often there is allot of research required. Unfortunately this results in rather too many abandoned and half finished projects as if I am distracted away from any current project…on my return, with them in such disarray, I often find it difficult to pick them up again. :open_mouth:

That’s the reason I’m now using Scrivener and it is such a blessing. I looked at other software but that nothing I could locate suited my needs, many didn’t export in plain text either which is a must for me as I import the final project into an HTML text editor (Taco HTML Edit).

I’m hoping to pick-up a few helpful tips on this forum, how you writers organise a project and just how you incorporate Scrivener into your workflow.

In Christ, Karl.

One tip that might be useful to you is picking up a few easy MultiMarkdown commands and then using the MMD->XHTML exporter when you move to final publishing. This will inject clean, semantic HTML coding into your source text which is very useful in most blogging contexts where all styling is handled by CSS.

Another tip for article authors using Scrivener is to make use of the Compiler’s focussing feature. You needn’t export the entire project using Compile, you can choose only a portion of the draft for compilation. This means you can sort each article into a separate folder, using a common research pool, as well as easy access to your other articles. I think Scrivener is great for journalists and bloggers, even though it was primarily designed for long-format authoring, mainly because of its extensive support for that. It’s possible to keep lots of research and separate short-form publications thematically tied together. Ideas for new articles can go right into the main flow of things.

Thanks for the info AmberV, appreciated.

That’s the kind of information I came here for. The XHTML export looks like just what I need. My style sheet’s do style almost all of my site but I still need to add images and other quotes etc in my HTML editor as they need certain properties and mark-up. If Scrivener outputs with just the

and maybe basic formatting tags that will be fine. I’ll be trying that out tomorrow.

I used to try to plan my article and blog outline’s on paper but when I wanted to change the order it got rather messy, now it’s just drag and drop! Also, now I can focus on just one part of an article and forget about the rest until that part is at draft. I think this is going to be such a help.

In Christ, Karl.

Yes, the MMD workflow is pretty slim. In fact it doesn’t assume anything in terms of styling in the data area itself. Quotes are just

and all paragraphs are simply wrapped in

. Rarely will it use
as it priorities semantic cleanliness over format hacks. You can force a
with a double-space at the end of the line, that’s the only way you’ll ever see it. Anything wrapped in asterisks or double-asterisks will end up as and respectively. It is expected that heavy CSS usage will handle all formatting requirements. The only real exception to this is the one thing HTML doesn’t handle: footnotes. It will create a pseudo-structure to handle footnotes (basically using the list elements).

It can do images as well, but there isn’t much support for adding special attributes to them, beyond title. The main reason for all of this is that it tries to keep itself as readable as possible. Adding custom attribute support means concocting a syntax for it, and there are few ways that can be done while maintaining a readable source document.

Keeping it down to

tags is just what I need! My CSS sheets will pick-up the bulk but I still need to add some mark-up…if not just to add the classes or id’s.

My biggest problem has always been planning…plus constantly changing my mind! My system (If it could be called that) just fell apart…I can now see how my inexcusable ‘chaos system’ can be tamed. Today I’m looking forward to my work in a new way. :smiley:

This maybe one of the most stupidest quotes on the whole forum but…I’d just never realised before,… just how important organisation stills really are. You can have so much to say and great talent but without those stills, you’ll take an age to get it out there. :wink:

In Christ, Karl.

As someone who tends toward chaos myself, I’ve found Scrivener to be exceptionally good at keeping it under control. In particular, keywords and labels are a huge benefit, as it only takes a few seconds to slap a little meta-data onto some idea I had, and then move back to whatever I was doing. Later on you can easily search by keyword or label, and even enable label tints in the View menu. This makes gathering and spotting random ideas much easier. Anyway, hopefully you find a way to tie it all together. One of the strengths here is flexibility. It can be daunting at first, but what it really lets you do is allow your projects to grow in whatever fashion you work, rather than working in the other direction and attempt to apply a template or rigid structure to everything. Few programs let you do that with impunity, even if they tout otherwise.

Good discussion. I’m a professional journalist, blogger, content and social media strategist. Until now, I’ve been using Scrivener only for my novels-in-progress, which is only a small fraction of my day, but now I’m starting to try Scrivener for more projects.

Do most bloggers and journalists who use Scrivener use one project per article, or bundle multiple articles into a single project? What’s the best way to work in that regard?

I have a folder structure…

1. Ideas
    2). Drafts
    3). Ready
    4). Published

If an idea pops into my head I just throw it in Scrivener and save the single project into ‘Ideas’. Later if I have a moment I scan my ‘Ideas’ (and drafts) folders, find one I ‘feel’ I can take on until it is moved to all the way through to ‘ready’. Then when I need to I published one from the ready I move the file to ‘Published’. Pretty basic really but it works for me. Some move from ‘Ideas’ to ‘Published’ in a matter of days, other months.

I also use Scrivener for studying, in such a case I then have many topics in one project. One such project holds all my web based studies, if for instance I need a refresh on say ‘CSS3 Gradients’ I just type in those two words and all my notes are revealed. Quick refresh and I’m away. When studying video tutorials, I take a selection screen-shot with my Mac (cmd+4) it saves to the desktop, I then simply drag the screen-shop into where I want it in the Scrivener document and move on…Also drag videos and all sorts of articles into the Scrivener’s research folder, it’s just so simple.

Obviously there is much more to the program, but the little I know so far has transformed the way I work…and as I have said before, what I love about it is that even after weeks away I can pick-up where I left off reasonably quickly.

In Christ, Karl.

Interesting. Very good ideas. I’m still leaning toward one project per … well, project – individual article, blog post, whitepaper, case study, etc. But this is only my second day using Scrivener for that kind of writing.

Nice. :slight_smile: