Blue screen of death while using scriv

I’m not sure yet if this is a scrivener problem or just a coincidence, but my computer has done a blue screen of death twice, ten days apart. Both times happened while using scrivener, and nothing seemed to be wrong at all. There was no lead up to it or lagging, I was doing nothing in particular, just writing in the text editor. In the middle of typing it out of nowhere showed me the blue screen of death and proceeded to reboot my computer.

I’m on Windows 10, Lenovo Ideapad Flex 5. I haven’t had any big issues with scrivener before, but the first time it blue screened it actually deleted the entire document I was working on, even though I had it saved as well as scrivener having it’s own auto-save feature. I still have no clue how that happened, because the subdocuments I had stored in it were fine after that reboot, but I couldn’t recover the document that had been wiped no matter what I tried. It still existed, but when I came back it was completely blank. The second time it blue-screened nothing happened to the document I was working on.

The only thing I can think of is I was still on version 3.1.1 and hadn’t updated to 3.1.2. After the second blue screen I updated it just in case, and I’m on 3.1.2 now. It’s impossible to say for sure with just 2 incidents if it was actually a scrivener bug or just an OS problem, but I will keep note of if it happens again. Because if this is really a scrivener bug then that is a bigggggg problem.

It might not be directly related to Scrivener, or Scrivener is using part of your computer’s operating system or hardware that is having the trouble.

Perhaps start with Troubleshoot blue screen errors

I’d say it is going to be unlikely to be a Scrivener bug specifically, that is causing your operating system to crash. That takes quite a lot of “effort” these days, and more typically involves tools that are directly modifying the system core in low level ways, like video editing software that uses a custom hardware card, might. Scrivener on the other hand is barely even involved with Windows—it runs in a compatibility layer, being written in a cross-platform toolkit.

So it’s far more likely your issues are coming from the other direction: failing hardware or system instability is causing the software you use on a frequent basis to malfunction. Scrivener is the canary, in this scenario, not the gas pocket.

1 Like

The blue screen will say what the error is. It’s usually hardware that is failing.

1 Like