blue screen of death

My first serious crash.
I had no other programs up
started a new chapter had written for about one hour maybe more and certainly pausing several times for more than the two seconds of auto save

suddenly.
a blue screen,
computer restarted
After windows came up I got the microsoft notice of a serious error did I want to report, which I did.

This has NEVER happened before. I wasn’t playing any audio or video files or even looking at photos (in or out of Scrivener ) just straight text.

After restart, before I pulled up Scrivener I looked in my temp folder but the Scrivener folder (inside TEMP) had different rtf files, NOT the one that I was working on

I pulled Scrivener and even the TITLE of the page I was working on was blank, (I had put the title in several hours earlier that night.)
The binder and the index card on the right still shows the title but the one on the page itself is blank.

After I opened Scrivener even the TEMP files were gone.

I am devastated, I had written at least a page. Any way to recover

PS. that page went to an MS SHELL DLG 2 FONT instead of my default CALIBRI font

Ouch, sorry to hear you had a crash. When this kind of thing happens, such as the power failing or whatever, it is possible for a bit of your most recent work to go unsaved. Scrivener’s auto-save doesn’t work constantly, otherwise it would get in your way and cause the program to feel as though it lags. So it waits until you pause for a bit, and then saves then. This means that in some cases it may be a while before works gets saved, and if something catatrophic happens to the session at that time, it can vanish just as surely as if hadn’t saved a file in a while and then suffered a crash.

At any rate, based on your description of the events I don’t think there is anywhere to look. Any circumstances that would have created a project backup would have also saved everything, so there won’t be anything there.

Data from a few hours prior being unsaved is a bit unusual, I will admit. Typically one only loses a few minutes of work if that. I would suggest forming a habit of hitting Ctrl-S now and then, as it sounds like auto-save doesn’t happen frequently for you.

So why isn’t auto save working?

why did that particular page go back to a MS SHELL font which I NEVER use

Is there something in the new Scrivener build that would cause that kind of very serious blue screen crash I’ve never experienced before?
perhaps something relative specifically to WIN XP
should I go back to an earlier build

I’m extremely concerned as its not only lost work, but a serious crash to my system

Apps can almost never cause a blue screen in Windows – their code isn’t run at a level of access that gives them unrestricted access to hardware. Blue screens are almost always because of device drivers. Check and see if you’ve got any very old or recently updated device drivers.

Even if the auto-save was saving, a BSOD indicates problems at a much lower level, which could lead to data corruption, and a system crash of any nature runs the risk of corrupting open data. So the file you were working on could have been saving correctly up to the point of the crash, but then the file itself was damaged. If you have some kind of regular system backup running (like the Windows backups for system restore) you could check for previous versions of the Scrivener project and its contents; it’s possible you could restore a version of the file or project folder from during the time you were working, prior to the crash. I think that the whole Windows backups and previous file versions and so on came in more with Vista, unfortunately, so I doubt that you’d have this ability unless you had specifically set it up.

Along with checking on device drivers as devinganger suggested, I’d also update any security software and run a complete scan of your computer to check for viruses, etc. Those can wreck system files and cause no end of problems.

I’m very sorry for your lost work. :frowning:

I had done a compile .docx after the blue screen as a safety measure yesterday
I opened it in Word and everything looked normal (lost page not included, of course)

I worked in Scrivener without issues today for several hours and again compiled, wanting to save over yesterdays compile
Scrivener naturally asked if I wanted to save over that compile, I clicked YES
guess what?
the file disappeared! Scrivener said file did not exist, yet it had been there seconds before
so I saved it as another name, and it opened successfully in word

But here is the strange part yesterdays docx is GONE not in my folder, not in recycle, just gone.
the reference to it in recently opened files in WORD exists, but if I click it it says there’s no such file.

are there issues with the latest version of Scrivener and XP?

I’ve seen something similar to this. I compiled a project to fdx, and chose to overwrite an existing file when saving. Scrivener said it could not save with this name (there was an odd techie error message), and so I saved with another name. Then I found that the existing file had disappeared. However, when I repeated the same steps (to note that error message), everything functioned as expected.

ps this happened the first time that I used Scriv after the most recent update.

Exactly.
second time I was able to overwrite
So you are also on the latest build, right?
What OS are you on?
Not that I wish files to mysterious disappear for anyone else, but good to know its not just me.

Am using Scriv 1.6.0.0, on Win XP Pro SP3.

Uhm. Interesting, we are both on the same system, using the same build.
perhaps there are issues between the two?

Have you ever had a blue screen with Scrivener? This was my very first time and scared the bejessus out of me

Anyone in tech support have a suggestion?

You may need to make sure you have all MS supplied patches installed (run windows update). I ahve seen several BSOD addressed in the last round of patches (not scriv caused but as noted by other BSOD is typically lower level calls going stupid).

Please keep in mind that XP is old. Microsoft will officially stop providing any support for it in the near future. You are likely to experience increasing issues with any current software package on XP as most developer will be writing for the current generation of MS operating systems.

There was no BSOD with the issue I saw. I’ve never had one using Scriv. I would guess these two things are not related.

I have all latest updates on system
I checked and don’t have any viruses.
I am aware XP is old
I am aware Microsoft is going to cease support in a couple of years.
I have never experienced a BSOD before. That is WHY I am concerned
I like XP
I am very happy with the stick-shift style computer.
I UNDERSTAND the system, not just use it like a typewriter to send emails or type little Xmas letters to Aunt Agatha in Word.
Why is this a problem for you? Sheesh…

I’m with you. I prefer XP as well. In my day to day role I see more issues with XP directly related to software utilizing features of newer MS OS. As the end of support date for XP gets closer I’m seeing more issues more frequently. In one issue we’ve raise directly with MS, we were told that MS will not be fixing XP to address the problem. Their reason was “you should not be using XP” (easy for them to say to a large corporation).

I personally don’t have a problem with you using XP. I will likely continue to use it well past it’s EOSL date. Granted I only use it for apps that are older, no longer being developed, and not worth upgrading. There may come a point in time when newer versions of Scriviener will no longer run on XP (just like when OSX 10.6 support stopped for the Mac version).

By the way, Microsoft support for XP ends April 8, 2014. windows.microsoft.com/en-us/wind … pport-help

If you like XP and aren’t a fan of Windows 8 (7 isn’t so bad…), try Linux. There are some distros that are very newbie-friendly. KDE looks and feels an awful lot like XP. Fedora and Ubuntu will let you boot from a “live” CD, so you can see if it’s for you or not.

The only downside is that Scrivener on it is either via WINE (windows version) or the native one, which has some issues with being a 32-bit program on an increasingly 64-bit OS. (If your distro has a sane multilib support, odds are good Scrivener native will work. If it’s one big kluge like Arch Linux’s* multilib support, you’re kind of screwed.) The downside to using WINE with Scrivener is that some things (multimedia files and PDFs) don’t work, and it takes a bit of finesse with winetricks to get it to run.

But back on topic, if you’re having a BSOD and you haven’t before, it could be a hardware or driver issue. When’s the last time you reinstalled XP?

*[size=85]Yeah I know I keep bitching about Arch Linux. I mean to go back to Slackware, but need a hard drive to back things up. Inertia’s a pain. I’m hoping 14.1 is released with EFI support before I get too fed up.[/size]

As an actual unix admin, I’ve been with linux since kernel 0.9. While I do use it every day (professionally and personally) I don’t find it to be really suitable for activities where my brain is expecting to be non-tech. Hence my Mac. Which is why I recommend Mac to everyone who asks. It’s what this computer dork uses.

I’m currently playing with ubuntu which is pretty “no brain” (haven’t actually compiled anything from source that I haven’t actually written myself) but would only recommend it to folks if they used KDE instead of the canonical “Dash” crap. I’ve seen some Mint installs and those actually seem a bit better for end users.

One quick thought: the KDE personalities of “mac” and “windows” aren’t bad but are not close enough to warrant the current labels. But then I’m being picky there.

Anyhoo… I’ll be sticking with XP for until I have a major failure for the few “windows only” apps I need to use.

MACS are for people with lots of disposable income. I don’t
Also, other than developers, I’ve never met a MAC person who understood or cared HOW a computer works; they want computer to do the thinking for them. Why they love MAC.

My partner and I design HTML 5 websites for people in the entertainment industry who have LOTS of money and buy all the latest MAC tehcno-toys they see – iphones, ipads, a laptop, a desktop, this app, that app, the latest OS, the latest software, blah blah blah. (which they generally get the MAC store to install)

Cool for them, but they are absolutely clueless on HOW their toys work. Many don’t know where downloads go, and have to ask. NONE of them realize where or why they have to clear their browser cache to see the adjustments on a webpage (What’s a cache? They don’t have caches on iPads. Oh yes they do.) These are NOT stupid uneducated people, far from it. They simply don’t find computer technology interesting, per se.

I find computers magical. the greatest breakthrough for humanity since flight. But I also hate planned obsolescence, which is what Apple and Microsoft do-- make it seem essential to buy a new system, when it sometimes is not. IE8 doesn’t work anymore, as you know. MS made it so that IE 9 & 10 don’t work with XP. Why is that, I wonder? So I use Firefox, my partner Chrome, even before IE8 became obsolete. I KNOW that there have been massive breakthroughs since OS 3.1 and Pentium 50’s. I played with win 7 & 8 and I do not like them-- they have the very issues I resent about MAC. They hide the system.
Besides, a new system means upgrades in software. Again, money, money, money. Annoying.

------- End of anti-capitalist rant ------ :wink:

You might dig Linux, then. I’d add Debian and SuSE to my list, too.

God… To learn another system, then find compatible software – which I can afford – in the midpoint of a novel?
Shoot me now :wink:

Actually most of the software for Linux is about as free as a thing can possibly get, but yeah there is a learning curve. However for a computing enthusiast, it is a very rewarding learning curve.

But yeah, maybe not in the middle of a deadline. :mrgreen: