"Book begins after front matter" not working?

I have the “Book begins after front matter” checked in the Text Layout section, but when I push the title to my kindle or iPad it starts in the middle of the front matter section.

Any ideas?

There is a tag that might work:

https://forum.literatureandlatte.com/t/adding-colophon-copyright-page-but-opening-on-cover-page/22053/3

I’ll give that a shot thanks.

I am testing these on Kindle on an iPad and a Kindle Paperwhite and getting similar results on both devices. I ran a bunch of tests and here are the results:

Test #1 - -
Included Front Matter Checked.
Book Begins After Front Matter Checked
<$ebook_start> in place
RESULT: Book begins in the middle of front matter

Test #2 - -
Included Front Matter Checked
Book Begins After Front Matter NOT Checked
<$ebook_start> in place
RESULT: Book begins in the middle of front matter

Test #3 - -
Included Front Matter NOT Checked
<$ebook_start> in place
RESULT: Book begins at the end of the Table of Contents

Test #4 - -
<$ebook_start> NOT included

Test #5 - -
RESULT: Book begins at the beginning of the Table of Contents

Test #6 - -

and my wild card test:

Test #7 - -
<$ebook_start> included
Table of Contents NOT selected
RESULT: Book begins one page BEFORE the tag, and after the front matter, but is now missing it’s table of contents.

Any other ideas?

I have also tried placing the toc into the front matter with the <$toc> tag but the book still starts at the end (but still in) the front matter. So I’m guessing it has something to do with the auto-generated TOC?

Any other help/ideas/suggestions? Still running into this.

<$ebook_start> is only used if “Book begins after front matter” is not ticked. If “Book begins after front matter” is ticked, this tag is ignored, and the book will start after the documents in the front matter folder you set via the Contents pane of Compile. Do you have a front matter folder set up that is selected in this manner?

You could just try deselecting “Book begins after front matter”, in which case the book will start where the <$ebook_start> tag is placed.

All the best,
Keith

Yeah, all my “Front Matter” is in a folder and called “Front Matter” and selected in the Contents subtab.

I tried this:

and the book began in the middle of my Front Matter folder and not where the tag was placed.

Just tried it without the tag and got the same result with “Book Begins after Front Matter” checked.

Just tried moving all my front matter into my manuscript folder, inserting the tag, and removing all calls to inserting the front matter. It still didn’t begin where the <$ebook_start> was set. In fact it began a page before.

I noticed it keeps starting at the third page of my book no matter what i select or if I use the tag or the “book begins after front matter check box.” At first I thought it was something in my colophon but when I moved the colophon to the 2nd page, it then started at the middle of my Table of Contents.

What I want is for the book to start at the 4th page, my Dedication page. Starting in the middle of the colophon or the toc is pretty ugly for a first run experience.

Just to double-check, you do have “Page break before” set appropriately for all the front matter, right?

Yep. Everything has “Page Break Before” checked.

Doing some testing:

It’s now working on Kindle for the iPad.

It’s not working on the Kindle Paper White. Book is beginning at the end of the front matter.

Here’s every screen of my compile:

and the top half of my binder:

Starting to do more field testing, this could be an issue with the Paperwhite. It loads just fine on the Kindle Fire.

Waiting to hear back from a Kindle DX user.

Interesting. I haven’t got a Paperwhite, but it could well be a software difference. That said, I haven’t had any other reports of this, so this is odd. Your screenshots all look fine as far as I can see.

All the best,
Keith

My testers got back to me I’m seeing the same issue on a Kindle Keyboard and a Kindle 2nd Gen.

That’s three Kindles from various generations sending them here:

Instead of to the actually start, the Dedication.

I don’t know what else to try.