Bookends query

I’m testing out Bookends as a bibliography manager at the moment, and so far reckon that it will do me just fine. However, I have one small niggle which I wonder if any of the Bookends experts on the forum can help me with.

When I process the .rtf exported from Scrivener to create the citations and bibliography, and then open the resulting main file in Nisus Writer Pro, en-dashes in page ranges in the citations are replaced by ñ, so I get 43ñ45, rather than 43–45.

Obviously, I can do a search and replace, using PowerFind Pro if necessary to limit it to replacing ñ only when it occurs between numbers, but I’d rather not have to. Do any of you know how to get Bookends to retain the en-dash rather than replacing it?

Ta muchly.



Though I’ve recently used Scrivener / Bookends / NWP, I haven’t seen this problem – Does it make a difference if you edit the RTF file first in NWP, re-save, and then scan?


Thanks Bryce. When I open the RTF file exported by Scrivener in NWP it has the en-dashes, so Scrivener is exporting the text without changing that. It’s only after running it through Bookends that they become ñ.

Have you used en-dashes for page ranges, or do you usually use a simple hyphen? It is possible that Bookends expects hyphens marking page ranges, but for me they should be en-dashes. If that’s the case I’d rather have the ñs, as they are much easier to do a targetted find-and-replace on than simple hyphens.

I’ve also written to Sonny Software to see if they can help.



Have you tried e-mailing Jon (author of Bookends) about this? He’s very responsive and I’m sure he would be able to help you.

Thanks Keith, I sent an email to support-at-sonnysoftware-dot-com, I think it was, off the web site. If that’s Jon, then I presume he will get it sometime before too long.



It turns out that the problem of en-dashes converting to ñ is a result of the RTF coding used by the Apple Text-engine — TextEdit shows the same problem — being different from that used by both NWP and more importantly Bookends. NWP can handle the different coding, but Bookends, including today’s upgrade, changes the glyph.

The good news is that the next Bookends upgrade will resolve the problem. In the meantime, you can get round it by:

(a) Opening the RTF output by Scrivener in Nisus, resaving it, then scanning that in Bookends;

(b) Scanning the RTF output by Scrivener in Bookends, then doing a Find and Replace on the resulting file in Nisus;

© Martin has written a very simple Macro which you can find in the thread I started on the subject in the Nisus Writer Pro Macros forum.

Thanks to Keith and Jon for helping sort out this problem.