bookmarks feature

del

I know, I know, something akin to this is probably not currently possible, but: How about—something like this:

Yes, I just ripped off the Finder’s label selector, and it bears no relation to Scrivener’s highlights, and the font is slightly wrong, but yes.

Then you could simply use green to denote bookmarks, or whatever colour you choose.

del

Oh, I understood perfectly. I was just thinking that it would be nice to be able to filter all documents that contain a certain highlight, anyway, especially if you use those highlights to mean specific things. So, for example, you could use one of the highlight colours (say green) to mean “bookmark,” and search by that colour using the drop-down to see all of your bookmarks.

But, like I said, filtering by highlight colours is, I am fairly certain, impossible as they are currently implemented. At least, not possible to do in any way remotely efficiently. I could be wrong.

del

Thanks! Your idea was helpful in making an adjustment to how I bookmark locations in files. I created an abbreviation (bk) in TypeIt4Me and it expands with another abbreviation [bkmrk] in green text (to make it easier to see). (I was using a different kind of visual indicator—a small icon—more fun but it’s not searchable.) Now I have a unique search parameter for finding bookmarks and a visual indicator to tell me where my bookmarks are! I use this a lot, and it’s universal to all my applications, which keeps things consistent.

Alexandria

That is precisely what I like about text based annotations. I actually have about two dozen different bookmark types, and about a dozen punctuation modifiers. So [INCON] means “Internal Inconsistency,” and [_INCON] means that it has been addressed (I like to keep my notes around for future reference). Further, I’ll sometimes suffix an identification, so if I have found all sources of the inconsistency, I can do a quick search for [INCON-char:zoe] to find all of the consistency problems with my character Zoe that I have discovered. In another document, I keep track of all the identifiers so I do not have to memorise them. Now, with the rapid search and Edit Scrivenings, it is super easy to track down these problems and solve them in one big edit session! Beautiful.

I wonder what the performance impact would be of keeping them in saved searches instead? I suspect it would be minimal, as it seems to search when you double click, rather than constantly keep the results around. I could keep a group of problem searches in the Binder instead of maintaining an index file. Hmm.

There should be no hit in keeping these as saved searches. As you have noted, saved searches only do the search on double-click - that way they can be dynamic, so that they will find any documents that match the search that have been created since you saved the search. A saved search document is really just a text document that can only be kept in the root (because it is not allowed children and other limitations, having them stored inside other folders would cause issues), but they also store your search terms, options and criteria internally so that they can recreate it whenever you want.
Hope that helps.