Breakpoints or inline flagging system

Hi there

Love Scrivener!

Im not sure if this feature exists yet or if its a wish list item

in coding, developers can add something called a “breakpoint” that allows them to test for bugs as they write their code-- I was hoping for a similar feature in Scrivener, but obviously with different functionality

frequently I am writing a chapter and i want to skip around but want to return to a scene later it would be great to flag this with a breakpoint

or lets say i am modifying the structure (nonfiction book) and i need to copy paste sections to different areas within the chapter-- it would be great to navigate back and forth to these areas using breakpoints rather than endless scrolling.

simply add a flag/breakpoint to the areas in progress and then use a hotkey to advance forward or backward to the previous or next breakpoint.

thanks

Keeping in mind Scrivener has a fully-featured history system (right-click on the back/forward buttons to make long jumps), a technique that I use when I want to “hold that thought” is to make use of the new Copyholder mechanism, or of Project Bookmarks.

For the former, I’ve added a custom keyboard shortcut to the Navigate ▸ Open ▸ in Copyholder menu command. From the main editor I can hit the shortcut and it opens the currently edited file into a copyholder. Now I’m free to navigate however I want, use Layouts even (since they don’t touch Copyholders) to get a different view on the project—and when I’m ready to return I can drag and drop the document icon from the Copyholder pane into the main editor header bar and close the Copyholder.

Using Project Bookmarks is similar in concept, though it leaves the main editing interface clean and doesn’t require me to stop using Copyholders I’m already using. Bookmarks also has another advantage in that you can hold multiple stopping points in the list. For this one, you have the Documents ▸ Add to Project Bookmarks menu command (or if you have a Touch Bar you can add that as a button). The addition of a bookmark is done in the background—no fuss. When you’re ready to return to where you were, hit ⇧⌘B and click on the stopping point. Follow that up with ⌘Delete if you’re done with it.

Both mechanisms also offer the ability to keep that stopping point easily accessible without navigating back to it, as well. With Copyholders that is self-evident, but with Project Bookmarks, hit ⇧⌘⌥N (or go through the usual clicking to open the inspector and click on the Bookmarks tab if you prefer). The ⌘6 shortcut will flip between document and project bookmarks. Hit the navigation shortcut a second time to move your cursor over to the list, and flip between them with the arrow keys. The preview area below the list is fully editable. You can also easily get a bookmark back into the main editor from this sidebar list as well. I prefer the Behaviors: Document Links: Open inspector bookmarks in: “Current Editor” option for this reason. With that set, I can hit the Return key on a bookmark to jump straight to it in the current editor.

So both of these are great facilities when the reason for my navigational tangent is to follow up on some recently made change in the stopping point document. I can make reciprocal edits and reference details as I go—and again History helps a lot in the short-term stack.

Quick Reference panels can also work as a replacement for Copyholders. I usually prefer keeping things in one integrated window as much as I can, as I make heavy use of the navigation shortcuts to jump around within it, but QR definitely have their advantages—particularly if you make use of the Composition Mode feature much.