Broken Korean character after migration from Mac to PC//

Greetings from a Korean user,

I have recently moved all my data from Mac to PC, including my .scriv project. And the problem is, apparently, a few of my text files inside the project are corrupted, showing broken texts such as following:

¼ÓÁֹεéÀ» À§ÇØ »õ·Ó°Ô Àΰø¾î¸¦(¸î °³ÀÇ ¹Ú¾àÇÑ °øÅëÁ¡À» °¡Áø) ¸¸µé¾î º¸±ÞÇÏ·Á Çß´Ù. ±×·¯³ª ±× ¹®¸íÀεéÀº ¾ß¸¸ÀεéÀÌ ÀÌ¹Ì À¯±¸ÇÑ ¾ð¾î¸¦ °¡Áö°í ÀÖ¾ú´Ü °É

It seems there is some kind of problem with encoding or font I guess.

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you in advance!

P.S.

Additionally, It seems I could not have connected .scriv file to Scrivener properly. .scriv files are shown as folders, and I’m dragging them to scrivener every time I want to open them. Is there any solution?

Hello, Jimin.

I had a quick look at this, having once lived in Korea. I can make some suggestions, and maybe the support team will have further to say.

• I think the problem looks like character encoding. If you can read your other work on the PC, then you have Korean fonts there.

• Mac apparently has its own encoding for Korean, at least originally. These days everyone should be using UTF-8 which avoids the problem, but maybe not in this case.

• the RTF files that Scrivener uses should be universal and also solve such problems, but not in this case, yet anyway.

• I would suggest first of all to be using the latest version of Scrivener for Windows, just released this month. You can get it by downloading from the public site: http://www.literatureandlatte.com/scrivener.php. This version has some improvements specifically in Korean language handling.

• If that version change alone won’t display your texts properly, you might try also upgrading to the latest Mac Scrivener version on the Mac, then making small additions to the problem texts so that they will be re-saved, and exit Scrivener. Then copy the project over to the PC again, and try it. No guarantees, but might help.

• Here’s one more idea if the above don’t clear this up. There is a multi-purpose editor on your Mac called TextEdit. I believe it can read the .rtf files within the project.scriv folder (in Files/Docs). You could read each problem file and resave it as utf-8 plain text to a fresh folder that you make outside the Scrivener project. Then you would copy this folder to the PC, and open the plain texts there via NotePad etc., copy and pasting the proper Korean Hangul to replace the mangled texts in your Scrivener project.

I found a note of how to do the conversion in TextEdit on the web, modified a little here for clarity: “Open the .rtf file in TextEdit. Then do Format > Make Plain Text and afterwards Save As, to save a .txt copy. In this Save As and selecting .txt output, you will have a menu also to select encoding. Choose utf-8 before you press Ok, for each file you convert.”

I hope this helps, and that you have success recovering all your work.

Regards,
Clive

Coming from the Mac stable, I was going to suggest that it was an encoding problem, and to ask if the parts in question were copied/imported from another source and so are in one of the many codings that Macs can read, but cause problems on Windows (Yes there can be problems the other way round too!).

I know also that when Scrivener for Windows was first launched there were similar encoding problems with Chinese — I work with Chinese — which I can only assume have been sorted out later. Perhaps the latest Windows version has done the same for Korean. Otherwise, follow narrsd’s advice.

On your other point, on the Mac, what looks like a file is a “package” … a whole structure wrapped up in a way that looks like a file and can be clicked to open it — sometime, Ctrl-click on one of your .scriv ‘files’ on your Mac and choose “Reveal contents” from the drop down menu, and you’ll see. Windows doesn’t have packages, so on your Windows machine, all those contents are displayed as normal directories and files. To open the .scriv project on Windows, I believe what you have to do is double-click the .scrivx file contained within the top-level scriv directory. But a Windows user can confirm better than me.

Mark