bug display of double quotes in full screen mode

This is a very strange and precise bug… I have set Scrivener to insert double quotes with non-breaking space (it’s the rule in French), eg : a double quote and a non-breaking space for the first one, and a non-breaking space then a double quote for the second one.
It works fine, except than in full screen mode, the second double quote doesn’t display : it’s like 2 spaces were inserted, although, when back in normal mode, I can see that the double quote is actually there, and display properly when I go back again to full screen mode.
I have tried changing the font, the keyboard layout, but it doesn’t solve the bug.
If I replace the non-breaking space by a normal one in the Typography panel of the preferences, it doesn’t solve the bug either, but if I suppress it, and make Scrivener insert only a double quote, without a space before, it’s fine, so the problem seems to come from the space before the closing double quote…

PowerBook G4 12", OS 10.4.8.

FG

I have to admit that I didn’t set up the smart quotes feature with the possibility in mind that anybody would want to exchange one character for two. In fact, I bet you that nothing is actually disappearing in full screen, though. I am prepared to bet that you have full screen set up so that you have a black background with non-black text. Am I right? All that is happening is that the second character is not getting coloured with the full screen text colour, so it appears as black-on-black. I just tested this myself.

I have just fixed this for beta 4.

All the best,
Keith

Thany you very much ! I’m very impressed by your quickness. If you need help to translate your app in French, I would be happy to give you back some help.

Thank you - there will certainly come a time when I would like to localize, and I would be most grateful for a French version. :slight_smile: I have to look into how to go about this, though, so it will be a little way off - some time next year, hopefully.
Thanks,
Keith

Yeah, and Keith—when that time comes, I’d be right chuffed to help you out translating from English to American. No problem.

Bob’s yer uncle.

:slight_smile: You know, it actually needs translating from American to English. I reluctantly took the route of US standardised (uh, I mean “standardized”) spellings for S1, even though SG used UK spellings. The trouble is that there are loads of built-in spellings such as “Color” in the colour panel that I can’t change anyway, sigh…

Really? I would have hoped that you could set the OS language to UK English, and it would automatically change things like ‘Color’ in system palettes.

Sadly not. It’s the same on the Mac as it is on Windows - you can set your language settings to UK English, but all the interfaces are still American English. I don’t even notice any more…

Sadly not. It’s the same on the Mac as it is on Windows - you can set your language settings to UK English, but all the interfaces are still American English. I don’t even notice any more…

Concerning the way a translation can be done, I have used a little bit the application iLocalize. I f you could make scrivener easily localizable with this app, it would make the process very easy for the translator. This app search a specified .lproj folder for all translatable files. For the moment, a problem of Scrivener is that not all the translatable files are in the English.lproj folder.

Like I say, I’ll worry about this when the time comes - it isn’t hard to shift all the necessary files into the correct folder. But it will be quite some time before I think about localization. I will take a look at iLocalize (iLocalise ? :slight_smile: ), though - thanks for the pointer.
Thanks and all the best,
Keith

If you ever decide to localize Scrivener, another program that could help automatize (automatise?) the process would be Localization Suite 2. It’s even made by Blue-Tec, your friendly competitor :slight_smile: And unlike iLocalize, it’s free.

Actually, I was thinking of using the Localization Suite - I have to look into these different programs. In the meantime, I have just gone through the .nib files and ensured that they all get placed in the English.lproj folder, to ensure that they are all localisable.
Thanks,
Keith

[quote=“KB”]
Thank you - there will certainly come a time when I would like to localize, and I would be most grateful for a French version. :slight_smile: I have to look into how to go about this, though, so it will be a little way off - some time next year, hopefully.

Hello,

I’m answering this old thread which I found in searching on the topic of the french localization of Scrivener. I have once again recommended this best of all writers’ applications to a french person who can’t get comfortable with the english menus.

As are others in this thread who have volunteered to help, I too am willing to pitch in.

Thanks,

Morton

Many thanks Morton. After 2.0 is out localisation will be a priority.

All the best,
Keith