Bug exporting "fireplace" to .mmd format

When exporting to .mmd format, the word “fireplace” is consistently mis-exported as “fiWith”. This is very strange.

I’ve tried it in more than one place in the same text doc, in more than one text doc, and in different scenarios, such as using a capital for the first letter. I have not tried it in another project, nor with another output.

Another person has noted the same problem in this blog post: rosemarykirstein.com/2013/12/error-error/

Any suggestions?

So compilations is literally using “Replace” as the search string and “With” as the replace string?

Are all occurrences of the word ‘replace’ being changed into ‘With’ in the compiled version?

In the Compilation dialogue, what do you have in the Replacements pane? (If you don’t see this, click the arrow next to the Format As: drop down list).

It may not be this, of course, but it’s the first thing to check.

Some Scrivener 3 screen-grab loveliness going on there.

Ha, no. That screenshot is the good old Windows version (using Windows 10 on Parallels if you want the sordid details…)

The “Replacements” pane is empty - that’s not the problem.

I hadn’t noticed that it is specifically “replace” that is being changed. I double checked that this is what’s happening by trying this: “Replace. Fireplace replace.” which yielded this: “With. FiWith With.”

It’s interesting that “with” is the word that “replace” is being changed to. String them together and you get “replace with”. Is this an inside joke or something?

Whoa - I just found the problem.

I got the brainwave to try using the replacements panel to force the word “replace” to be interpreted AS “replace”.

When I clicked on the “add” button - suddenly two previously hidden entries appeared. Each set to swap “replace” for “with”.

I suspect this is an unintended hold-over from internal testing.

Wait - I just noticed that such an entry is automatically made when you click on the “add” button.

One was probably already there, but it didn’t LOOK like a proper entry to me. Often in such fields you’ll see words in the field that are meant to provide a tool tip, but they don’t usually get treated by the program as an actual entry in the field. I’d suggest that the dev’s change this.

Well, yes, that was what struck me ‘replace’ and 'with. It’s why I suggested we needed to check the Replacements pane as a first step to try. Sounds like a bug if they’re not appearing till you click on ‘add’.

An edit I added to my above comment before I saw your reply:

Wait - I just noticed that such an entry is automatically made when you click on the “add” button.

One was probably already there, but it didn’t LOOK like a proper entry to me. Often in such fields you’ll see words in the field that are meant to provide a tool tip, but they don’t usually get treated by the program as an actual entry in the field. I’d suggest that the dev’s change this.

I also haven’t actually used the replacements tab before this, so that played into my not knowing to expect this.

I feel so bad.

I’ve just tried it on V3 (Mac) and it doesn’t add any ‘dummy wording’ so perhaps it won’t on Windows V3? OTOH I didn’t notice it being a problem on Mac V2 either, so perhaps it’s just a windows thing?