Bug - find and replace causes file deletion

(This applies to Scrivener for Windows 3.0.1.)

I accidentally hit ctrl-spacebar and converted all my double-spaces to single-spaces. (I’m not interested on people’s opinions as to whether this is proper formatting or not.)

To undo this, I did a ‘replace all’ from period-space to period-space-space. This first messed up all the footnotes and I was no longer able to fix them (see image for example of what I mean by the footnotes being messed up); it then completely deleted the file I was working on. Which is obviously not great.

[attachment=0]footnote mess-up.png[/attachment]

I am going to attempt to recover my work somehow; in the interim, people should probably avoid using the find-and-replace function.

Okay phew, deletion is not permanent. Closing and reopening Scrivener restored the text from wherever it went to, and footnotes no longer look whacky - so if this happens to you, try the same (and hopefully without my near-heart attack!).

I take it all back! It’s still freaking out, and that file is now throwing error messages galore:

Could not save project document ‘Theory-driven reflections on contesting vilification’
Failed saving text for document with id: {d434147d-90ca-4915-9318-e801088909f1}
Error: ‘The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process.’

To avoid losing your latest changes, make sure you have enough space and write access on your storage device.
You can create a copy of your project into another location using the menu File > Save As.
You might also try to compile and save to RTF or DOC format to avoid losing your latest changes.