Found a strange bug. Kind of difficult to explain, but I will try:
I use Scrivener on several machines. Two are Windows 7 64 bit machines which had Scrivener 1.6.1 installed. I updated from Kaspersky 2013 to 2015 on these machines. Scrivener continued to work. Upon updating from 1.6.1 to 1.7.2, Scrivener either fails to open, or opens and immediately crashes and closes, referencing a memory error (Memory cannot be written) Disabling Kaspersky causes Scrivener to open correctly. If protection is re-enabled, Scrivener will continue to open correctly until a reboot. Rolling back to Scrivener 1.6.1, this problem goes away. Or, if I downgrade to Kaspersky 2013, the problem also does not present.
As a side note, both of these machines were updated using the built-in updater. I tried complete uninstalls and there was no change upon reinstall. To throw an additional wrench into things, there are two other machines, one is a Windows 8.1 32-bit tablet with Kaspersky 2015 and Scrivener 1.7.2 both clean installed onto it. The other is a Windows 7 32-bit pc that was recently upgraded to Kaspersky 2015. I updated Scrivener from 1.6.1 by downloading the newest installer on this machine. Neither of these two machines exhibit the problem.
So, I’m not sure if its a Scrivener bug or a Kaspersky bug, or a 64-bit bug…
Might be able to reproduce on a 64-bit system by installing Kaspersky 2015 trial, then installing Scrivener 1.7.2, then attempt to run the program several times in a row. Sometimes the application will open the first time, then fail every other time.
If I can be of further assistance, please let me know.
Probably not useful, but here is the info from Event Viewer:
Faulting application name: Scrivener.exe, version: 184.108.40.206, time stamp: 0x53b364e8
Faulting module name: unknown, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x00000000
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x003e0000
Faulting process id: 0x11ac
Faulting application start time: 0x01cfb1336fae554e
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Scrivener\Scrivener.exe
Faulting module path: unknown
Report Id: c233ad50-1d26-11e4-9ca4-005056c00008