Bug in software or bug in user?

I am compiling from Scrivener 3 to ePub 3. When I open the compiled output in iBooks, some of the automatically generated Notes are indented. See image. Anyone know what is causing this?

My SCRIV file that generates the Notes output also is attached (FYI that I turned the text into gibberish).

Test - Notes.scriv.zip (355 KB)

Are all of the mis-aligned notes associated with right-justified epigraphs? The first two that I checked were.

The mis-formatting is also present in Adobe Digital Editions, so it’s not an iBooks issue.

Katherine

Katherine, I checked all of the indented notes, and yes, they all relate to text that is right-justified in the source manuscript.

If I compile from Scrivener 3 to ePub 2, all the notes come out ok - none is indented. So it seems to be an issue with compiling to ePub 3. Do you believe this is a bug to be fixed in the next release of Scrivener?

It’s not indent, in fact it’s alignment. I’m not sure why that is happening, it looks like the compiler is setting the footnote’s paragraph alignment with an inline style, so it’s not even possible to fix this in the CSS compile format pane.

You can at least for the time being very easily fix the ePub after compile. Just load the book in an editor (Calibre is a good choice), within that, load the footnotes.xhtml file and then do a blank search and replace to change all of the following to simply “

”:

<p style="text-align: right">

Then there is one that is centre-aligned:

<p style="text-align: center; text-indent: 0em">

I’ve fixed this for the next update.

All the best,
Keith

Thank you all!