I’ve been getting some strange (read that as ‘sad’) word counts that I think are due to more than my own laziness and procrastination, and I’ve figured out why.
If I write a chapter that’s, say, a thousand words long, it gets correctly counted in the writing history. If I then duplicate the chapter, which I do sometimes to keep the metadata, etc., the writing history doesn’t say I just wrote another thousand words. It acts as if I didn’t write anything. That seems probably logical since I didn’t actually write any new words, but the word count of my story did technically increase by another thousand words. If I then delete the contents of that new chapter, the word count decreases by a thousand words. What I’m left with are two chapters, one with a thousand words and the other empty, and a word history that says I haven’t written anything.
The immediate solution is obvious: quit duplicating chapters. A better solution would be awesome.
By the way, I’ll echo what many others have said. Scrivener is amazing. It’s the reason I own a Mac and is my favorite program, bar none. I’ve been looking forward to the new version for a long time, and it doesn’t disappoint. Thank you so much!