Bug: No way to undo Autopopulate of index card[NOTED]

Minor issue, but frustrating nonetheless.

I had no idea what the autopopulate button did, so I clicked it (it’s a problem I have).

It over wrote all my notes for that chapter, and there was no way to get it back.

I lost the information, which was kind of useful.

I had the same clicking disease. What it did to me was copy the first line or two of the document. Then it took me forever to learn I have to double click… not single click… in the card text area to change it to what I wanted. But any changes I made there did not alter the text in the document… Your actual document changed??

Rob

So are you saying it changed the document, or it changed the synopsis for the document? If it is the latter, I think that’s what it is supposed to do. It is a button that changed the synopsis for you.

It’s really unintuitive, but there is a way. I had a similar issue and asked about it on the Technical Services forum here – https://forum.literatureandlatte.com/t/synopsis/8643/1

The tutorial says that:
“You can auto-generate a synopsis by clicking on the button in the top-right of the inspector: if any text is selected in the editor, it will be copied into the synopsis; if no text is selected, the first few lines of text will be used.”

But I haven’t been able to successfully select text (by curson highlighting or even by copying) and then selecting the ‘auto-generate’ icon to transfer my selection onto the index card.

Very minor.

Sorry, to clarify my original post:

it changed the synopsis for the document.

I wrote the whole plot out in notecards in a fit of inspiration, and I’m going to be relying on my memory for that first chapter of what I wanted to write.

Thanks for the feedback. The usability of index cards in general has been raised previously. The general discussion went along the lines of the following:

Current functionality:

• Single clicking a notecard in the corkboard selects the card and bring it up in the inspector.
  • Once a notecard is selected, double clicking in the Title or Synopsis fields of the notecard or inspector, selects all of the text within that field. Single clicking doesn’t select anything.
  • At this point, a single click in the selected field will deselect all of the text and place a cursor at the point of click.

Proposed functionality:

• Single clicking a notecard in the corkboard selects the card and brings it up in the inspector.
  • Once a card is selected, single clicking in the Title or Synopsis fields of the notecard or inspector places a cursor at the point of click. Double clicking would still select all of the text within that field.
  • At this point, a single click in the selected field would still deselect all text and place a cursor at the point of click.

This would make it function more like the typical Windows program. This is an issue we will investigate.