Buy now or wait?

Hi,

I’ve been using Scrivener for Mac for a while now, and since my working machine for anything not related to writing is a Windows PC I thought I would try and see how Scrivener runs on it. I just installed the trial and so far so good. I’m ready to buy but I’m looking for an opinion: is it a good time to buy a Windows licence?

At the time of writing, current version is 1.5.3.0. So whenever 2.0 will be out, I will have to buy a new licence I guess? I know you can’t tell me when that version will be release, but I would prefer not to have to buy another licence in just a few months. Any opinions on what would be a wise decision in my situation?

I’m posting this, kind of hoping you will let me know that there will be a special discount price for those who bought it just before the new release or something, but I kind of know, too, that I’m probably too addicted to Scrivener to not buy a Windows licence now that I’ve installed the trial version. :slight_smile: Oh well.

I made a bit of research on the forum and around and it seems that there is no big problem in using it cross-platform (except inspector notes or something like that?). Until now, I’ve been writing mostly fiction with Scrivener, but I’m about to start writing my PhD thesis (field is French literature, so apologies in advance for any Ensligh mistakes in my posts—doing my best), and I thought Scrivener would be terrific for it (thus the need for the Windows licence). I will be working on this project on Mac and PC, depending on the situation. If anyone using Scrivener in this situation has any opinion (or advices), I would be happy to hear it. I will be looking for a good thesis template soonish, so if you have suggestions, they are welcome too (I know I will probably end up building my own template, but looking at other’s will give me some ideas).

You already know what a great piece of software that is, but just in case, let me repeat it, as I just registered on the forum: Scrivener is a complete revolution in terms of writing software. I love it! Keep up the good work!

OK, I’ll stop here. I just wanted to ask a question but now my post seems to be going in too many directions at same time. :slight_smile:

Thanks in advance for your help,

Michael

Actually, the new version supports those features now. So I think that everything is fully supported in the project format except for custom metadata now.

When version 2 is out, I’d suspect that, as was done with Mac version 2, there will be a discount for current Windows version 1 licensees to upgrade (roughly 1/2 to 2/3 retail price).

The main thing to consider is if you still plan to do most of your main work on your Mac, or if you’re planning to move most of your writing to Windows in the future. Staying on the Mac means that you don’t have to worry about fewer/less advanced features that you might use while writing. There are no document templates in the Windows version, as an example. If you just want the Windows version handy for writing or editing existing documents, and you don’t need advanced features like “revision colors”, then I’d say it’s worth it, and you don’t have to worry about upgrading even if it were to come out next month.

Keep in mind that it’s been a few months “just” doing the 1.3 to 1.5 upgrade cycle, so the leap to implementing 2.0 features is going to take quite a while; are you willing to wait a year, or maybe even two for version 2 to come out?

Thank you for taking the time to answer my not-so-clear question/dilemma.

Let me say right away that I will buy a Windows licence. I indeed noticed that the document templates are not in the Windows version. Same for the styles system. I was a bit disappointed by that but then I figured that it wouldn’t be dramatic as long as I set the default formatting to what I wish.

I did the tutorial again yesterday—after posting here. On Windows that is: I figured that it would give me an idea of what’s missing compared to the Mac version. I’m so glad I did the tutorial again! First time I did it was like 2 years ago, and I now realize that there was too many things to understand at the same time so I forgot at least half of what’s in the tutorial and used only what was useful for me at the time. Which is fine, in a way. But a reminder of all the possibilities offered by Scrivener was more than welcome now that I’m a lot more familiar with the software.

Scrivener really keeps impressing me day after day after day… I don’t think I can say that for any other software. I love Scrivener so much that I am always tempted to play in it, organize something in my project, doing little things here and there, etc. etc. So, to answer my own question: yes, it is so much worth it to buy another licence. :slight_smile:

That said, I don’t know on which computer I’ll work the most. Thing is, after reading around these forums I got interested in DevonThink. Seems very nice to build and organize a long-term database. But… I can’t really get stuck only on my laptop (Macbook Pro) for thesis writing (the 24" monitor on my PC is so useful for split screen: for example when I need to analyze some parts of a book I can keep open on one side and write on the other, etc. etc.). I guess I will keep using Evernote for that—been using it for a few years now, for a lot of stuff, but also to build a database of quotes and parts of books I read for my research so I can have them on hand when I’m ready to write and analyze stuff (nothing worse then realizing the book you need is out of the library when you need it, so I scan a lot of stuff with a digital camera, process it with ScanTailor, etc. etc.). All that to say that I’m very interested in the concept of building a long-term database, and it’s part of this question that answers to the question of knowing on which machine I’ll work the most. It’s another topic completely, though, I’ll give you that.

Again, thank you very much for your reply; I appreciate it. Reading around these forums is very useful: reading the manual is one thing, but it is really helpful and inspiring to hear about other’s workflow.

Regards,

Michael