Calendar View

I feel like this wish is not going to come true, but I will make it anyway. I wish Scrivener had a calendar feature that can enable me to see what files I have created on which day. This will turn Scrivener into a journal, but it sort of is: a journal of one’s thoughts and thought processes. Personally, the calendar view, or some kind of smart folder view that helps me organize the files per day, will help me to remember what I write and will help me with reviewing the material through spaced repetition. I would not think that this is going to be easy to implement: how would you date a file which was created two days ago, but was spilt today in several pieces? Yet folders organized per date will be valuable to me.

If anyone has a workaround this need of mine, I would appreciate it if you share your thoughts.

I’m not sure this will go all the way to what you’re after, but it will help, I think.

Say you’ve got a folder ‘Thoughts’ in which are various documents you’ve been working on. Highlight the Thoughts folder in the Binder, then choose Outline Mode (cmd-3 – you may have to choose it twice to get the spreadsheet view).

Then go to View > Outliner Columns (or click the little down arrow at the right hand edge of the column header bar). You’ll see a list of all the columns that can be used in the Outliner. Make use ‘Modified Date’ is ticked and you’ll see it appear in the header bar, with the date you last modified that document. Click on the Header ‘Modified Date’ and you can sort the outline by Modification date - it toggles between Newest/Latest/Unsorted. Finally, drag the Header left or right till it’s in the position you want it.

Eventually you can get something like this:

I don’t think you can change the format of the date used, but perhaps this will help a bit?

Once you’ve got it the way you want it, you can save and name the layout for future use (and attach a shortcut to it) – have a look at Window > Layouts > Manage Layouts.

Brookter, thank you for the suggestion. I like the outline date view, both Created Date and Modified Date. The only obstacle I have now is that I primarily work in the Research Folder where I have folders within folders. And the outline view can only provide chronological view of the folders. In other words, I won’t be able to see files in order, but the folders in order.

I can start giving all documents a tag, e.g. ‘thoughts’, and then create the kind of folder you were suggesting. But then the question is how can I quickly add this tag to all existing documents?

Glad it helps!

You can use collections to do what you’re after, as you say, using Keywords (Scrivener’s name for Keywords).

Simply highlight all the relevant documents (e.g. not-folders inside Research) in the binder (with shift-click and cmd-click as appropriate), then bring up the Keyword Panel. Create the Keyword to taste (‘Thought’) and drag it onto the selected documents – it will be attached to them all. You can then create a saved search on Keyword = Thought, and it will automatically pick up any new documents with the keyword ‘Thought’.

To stop you having to apply the keyword in future, you could create a dummy (template) Thought document, and add the Thought keyword to it. Place the Thought Template document inside the Templates folder and then when you want to create a new thought, use Project > New from > Thought. This will create a new document with the ‘Thought’ keyword already attached (and any other data you can to have).

If you want, you can designate the default template to be used with selected folders. To do this, highlight all the relevant folders inside Research, then use Documents > Default New Sub-document type > Thought, and any time you create a new document inside the relevant folders, it will already have the ‘Thought’ keyword attached.

HTH!

So I am almost there. I cannot find the Templates folder. How can I find it?

The binder I created with the documents works fine except that it is slow because I have many files. Is there a way for me to limit the files per date? Let’s say, the folder may include only files from the current and last month.

If you don’t already have a ‘Templates’ folder (they come with most Project Templates), you can create one yourself.

Simply create a new folder (you can call it Templates if you want – the name doesn’t matter) anywhere you want in the Binder, then highlight it. The go to Project > Set Selection as Template folder and you’re done. You’ll see that the folder now has a little T in it’s icon. All the subdocuments of the folder will now be in the Project > New from template menu.

BTW, if you don’t see ‘Set Selection as Template folder’ in the Projects menu, you’ll see ‘Clear Template folder’. That means you do already have one set – you just need to find it! Look for the folder with the T in the icon…

As for the second part of the question, no, I can’t think off-hand of any way of limiting the smart collection to the last couple of months automatically. If you want to do that, then I suggest you create a status Current Thought and add it to the template.

Then have two collections – one with just ‘Thought’ and one with both keyword = ‘Thought’ and Status = ‘Current Thought’. Then ever so often, change the status of older thoughts to something else, so they disappear.

The reason for using a status, not another keyword, for ‘Current Thought’ is that you can remove/change statuses for multiple documents at once: you have to remove keywords one at a time.

HTH.

I was able to follow your suggestions, so now I have set up a Thoughts binder, but I am running into a different issue. I need to be able to access the Thoughts binder (where all items are organized by Created Date and have the same tag / keyword “Thoughts”) on my iPhone or iPad. I do not see a way to access binders on the iPhone or iPad. Or may be there is and I am simply not aware. Can you help?

I think you mean Collection and they are not available in the iOS version.