Can a file be referenced in multiple locations and arranged?

I’ve been trying to figure out a way to better organize my Scrivener projects, and it’s a real headache.

What I’m trying to do is this:

Let’s say I have folders named “outlines,” and inside are folders named after specific characters and factions in a novel. I view the content of the folders in the outline view, and have files that are for each scene in the story, and I’m really just using the Title, Synopsis, and Status fields in the outline view, so I can organize and arrange and brainstorm various scenes for that specific character or faction, creating a satisfying arc for each.

Then, in another folder called “manuscript,” is where I actually have prose written for those scenes, but arranged as they would actually appear in the book.

As you can see, the more ideal arrangement is to somehow be able to have the same file show up in both the “outline” folder and the “manuscript” folder, so I don’t have redundant files or need to copy/paste changes between them every time I add/change something. I would also want to be able to rearrange the order of the scenes separately in the “outline” and “manuscript” folder, without them affecting each other. This is necessary because the order of the scenes as they appear in the book is often different from the chronological order of scenes in storyline line layouts, since some scenes might be flashbacks.

I tried using keywords and collections, but it wasn’t ideal because with collections, you can’t change the order of the files that contains the keyword you searched for, so it’s unusable for brainstorming and arranging scenes.

So is it possible to just create one text file, and be able to reference it in multiple locations in Scrivener, and also arrange the text files differently at the different locations/folders they are in? I guess it’s sort of like creating shortcuts in Windows, and be able to place the shortcut at various other locations but all reference back to the same file, and you can change the order of how each shortcut is arranged in its own respective folder.

Have you tried Scrivener Links? I don’t know if they’d quite suit your purpose, but they very well might.

In the location from which you want to link to the existing file, go to Edit, then Scrivener Link, then down through the set of submenus till you find the file you want. Click it, and a link referencing that file will appear in the current location. When you click this link, the target file/document will open in a split editor window for consultation, copying, editing, etc. If you want the link to have a title other than the name of the target file, you can create any text to be the title, select it, and follow the same procedure.

That is very different from what I’ve described. Take a look at this image I made to explain what I’m doing:
(The forum image attachment/viewing system sucks for larger images, so here’s the whole image link, so you don’t have to scroll constantly:
download/file.php?id=7105)

So what I 'd like to do, is to simply create the file once, and simply reference it in another folder, instead of having to create a duplicate of it and then move it over, and also having to continue to copy over any changes I make to the Title, Synopsis, and Status fields in the outline view between the two versions.

I should also add that I do use Aeon Time, but it is only mainly useful for arranging in chronological timeline, and isn’t as useful for other types of planning, due to the rigid linear timeline structure. Although I can group events by entity (character, faction, location, arc, etc.), It’s not that intuitive to use for quick and flexible arrangement, or to label/colorize events or use icons nearly as well as Scrivener. Also, it’s not possible to read all the information about the events all at once like Scrivener’s outline view. In Aeon Timeline, you’d have click on an event to read its synopsis and notes, while in Scrivener, I can have all the events shown in the outline view, and and the column used for synopsis/notes is shown for all events at once.

OK, sorry that wasn’t helpful. I don’t write fiction myself, so this goes well beyond what I use Scrivener for. Hopefully others here will be able to offer something more to your purpose.