can autosave be set to work for only one copy!

I wish it were easier to open older versions of a project and go through them while working with the newest version also. In other words, I would love for the older versions not to autosave any changes and become the new version. It is too easy to change one letter and have it think it is now the newest version.

Is there some way to make the newest version the only one which will save changes I make to it, while having the old versions make no saves in regard to what is done to them, or can I turn off autosave and manually save the newest version when I make changes, and not save the other versions?

Thanks, John

Hi John,

Sorry but no, there’s no way of doing this, and it would be way too risky to introduce such a feature.

All the best,
Keith

Hey Keith,
I was afraid that would be the answer, and thought it was. I also understand enough to know you can’t simply make programs do whatever you want them to, whenever you want them to.

Here is an alternate idea which I don’t have enough know how to explain very well, but I will take a shot at it. Is there some way the program could make inactivated versions of each saved copy. In other words, it can compile and make versions to export to word, etc. Is there some way it could do something like that and place all those versions to peruse in another program and saved in a separate folder? maybe I could just do this on my own, but it would be nice if it was somehow automatically set up.

Again, I don’t know enough to explain this thoroughly, but maybe this idea will spark an idea you guys could pursue. Please mentally explore it and see if this is possible. It would be so nice to have some way to explore old versions and this doesn’t have to be a perfect way, just some reasonable way.

Or could autosave be turned off for the entire program temporarily?

What is it exactly that you’re trying to do? There are two options that seem like they’d work, but I feel like I’m not really grasping what you’re after.

For older versions of individual documents, use the Documents > Snapshot feature. Snapshots can’t be edited, you can view the whole list of them for any document in the inspector and view their text in the inspector or in the editor (by dragging the snapshot title to the editor header). With the split editor you can read it alongside the current version of the document and the Compare feature will call out changes between any two snapshots or the snapshot and the current version.

If you need to look through an older version of the entire project, extract a copy of the project from its backup zip file and rename that copy before opening it so it doesn’t get confused with the current version and you can trash it when you’re done. You can then have both the older and newer open side by side but without the concern that editing the older copy will “replace” the newer one in any way. You do still need to be on alert yourself so that you don’t start making big edits in the older copy thinking it’s the current one, but that would be true in any of the scenarios you’ve described where the edits just weren’t being saved. Once you’re finished with whatever you needed the older copy for, you can close it and then just delete it, since you still have the zipped archive of it–if you ever need it again, you can start fresh without worrying you’ve accidentally changed things since that milestone.

You can always create a zipped archive of a milestone backup if you don’t normally backup as zip; just right-click the project file and choose the “Compress” option before you open the project.