Can doc format be added to sync?

Sync is a wonderful idea but it fails for me for a very simple reason - I need to deal in rich text not simple text. Sync works fine if the thing you’re sinking with is Windows for example. But if it’s an iPad or Android tablet you’re stuck with plain text. None of the word processing packages for tablets deals directly with rich text, and that includes both Quick Office and Documents to go (sometimes they don’t even recognise simple text).

My suggestion is very rudimentary. I know the doc export from Scrivener is basically rtf with a different extension. Would it be possible to add to the export options to have a .doc export as well as plain text and rtf? It wouldn’t need to be anything different as far as I can see. But that would be a rich text doc would be editable on iPad and Android - which it isn’t now.

DTG can handle comments in a Word doc on Android too by the way which, if that synced back into Scrivener (and I’ve no reason think it wouldn’t, it does in Word) would make tablets a lot more useful for me than they currently are.

Have you confirmed if this actually works? The last I heard, these tools that don’t read RTF really don’t read RTF at all (as opposed to just not recognising the extension), and so a DOC file acting as a container to RTF content will fail to open. Thus: the sync would have to produce real binary .doc files to work in this fashion with these simpler processors, and along with that would come all of the woes and reasons for why we use RTF inside the DOC container in the first place.

Ah… I don’t really understand these subtleties. But you are right. I just exported to a doc file from Scrivener. DTG on iPad refused to open on it because it said it was an rtf file not a doc one. It suggested I convert to rtf which it then refused to open too. QuickOffice will open the file but it appears to be plain text and won’t accept formatting.

So I guess this is a dead end then. Damn… If I sync in plain text clearly I will lose all formatting such as italics (which is all that bothers me). Will I lose any paragraph and other info too?

Yeah, it’s basically not possible to offer binary .doc sync, not because the files couldn’t be produced, but because we’d have no tools for checking the files for sub-file level changes. This would mean the situation would be even worse than with plain-text files, where only those paragraphs you change will have their internal formatting lost. Whole sections would lose their notes, links, etc, and due to the inaccuracy of Apple’s .doc code, they would lose some basic formatting, too, like indents and line spacing.

So that should partially answer your second question too. Scrivener syncs at the paragraph level, not the file level. You will lose formatting in paragraphs that have been edited, there is no way around that without a full-blown markup language that did everything Scrivener can do, but if all you change is one paragraph in a section, the rest of that section will be untouched.

So in practice, a combination of that and keeping things simple while you are in a phase of extensive mobile editing can get you far.

Ah. Didn’t know it was paragraph level. That means text only isn’t such a big deal. Thanks!