Can documents be sorted by 'General Metadata' like Created: 26 Jan 2014

Hi, I use Scrivener for a number of “good things” and it works perfect.
Now I have found and recovered a “lost” project and it is simply just raw text documents.
The only external data I see is the “creation date” and also, less important, the Modified date.

Is there any way to sort the documents (some 400) after their creation date? This could give a pointer to the “mood” sourrounding a specific document.

It would also be fine if I somehow could let my macrotool (Keyboard Maestro) pick these creation dates and then ‘do something’ with it :wink:

Otherwise I have to just start from first document and work all the way down… hmmm quite a lot

Any bidders?

GreyT

I’m not sure and I haven’t tested this, but I would search by years of creation and then order by “newest first”.

cdate:2024 - newest first
cdate:2023 - newest first

And so on… there is probably a better way :slightly_smiling_face:

Anyway, if you want to find doc created 26 Jan 2014, then like this

Show the column in Outline view, then click at the top of the column to sort.

Note that the Outline sort does not change the “official” order in the Binder.

1 Like

However, if you do want to make this order permanent in the binder, you can select all in the sorted outline and then drag it back into the containing folder in the binder to reorder the documents there. (e.g., if you selected the Draft folder and sorted its contents in the outline, you’d drag the full selection of sorted documents back onto the Draft folder in the binder.)

1 Like

It still amazes me that Scrivener holds so many goodies, I have yet to discover :slight_smile:
I never really ‘bothered’ to look into the ‘Outliner’, but now this is the much simpler way to continue re-arranging my smaller project.

It still seems that although the outliner can show the Create date, it is not as such available as a parameter, or searchable! but I can do it by copy/ paste it from general Metadata page into “Start” (a custom metadata field) , so likely this will be the manner I fix this “once in a lifetime project” :disguised_face:
If it happens again I will create some KM macros :cowboy_hat_face:

GreyT

Seems not to work for me (either) but thanks for input anyway
GreyT

Are you familiar with collections, and that collections can be named and viewed as a list on the top of your binder (view > collections)?

Using your outliner as kewms suggested, then sorting on either creation date or modified date (both can be added as columns) and being sure to expand all, you can select those folders/files and create collections from your selection(s).

Also, if you want to add meta data/tags to multiple selections - say the year created, the “mood” as you describe, whether they were modified, a character name, a setting, a topic, etc - it can be done in bulk fashion by selecting all the relevant pieces, and assigning or dropping tags/metadata on them. Then you can search for those tags or other meta data and create collections that will update automatically as you update your metadata and tags. You can also view metadata in your outliner, and sort by different columns to check for consistency. :slightly_smiling_face:
Scrivener’s capabilities for manipulation are pretty amazing after you write the words.

1 Like

Search for ‘cdate’ or ‘mdate,’ respectively, for Creation or Modified date. See Section 11.1.3 in the manual for full details on these and other special search terms.

2 Likes

Good to know, and this is not my specifik need I realize now. In general I work rather strict, that is every document in the binder will be marked with its original “paper” creation date like this: “2024-06-05 Ways to trim dates in Scrivener”, by doing so my binder content (Draft) will always show up in sequence, so to speak.

The specific project I am resurecting is likely an old compile result, in one large file, which I believe I have then manually split up in original documents.

Using the Outliner have proved the best way to adjust dates, and it has been done now :crazy_face:
Anyway I have once again learned something more, which is great

GreyT

1 Like

I know Collections, and use some for special purposes, like finding documents where a custom metadata field is left empty, but it does not really add anything to the ‘fixing’ of this specific jumble of texts.

GreyT

1 Like