Can I add my Internet Explorer Favourites to my Research tab?

Hi there,

I’ve been doing a lot of research for my books and organized all the useful websites I’ve found in subfolders in Internet Explorer. In Windows File Explorer this folder structure can be found and reorganized.

I wondered if it was possible to add these folders full of favourites to the Research tab in Scrivener. Now I can only add separate files, not entire folders.

Anyone?

Still no reply?

Sorry. Someone should have replied. Open file explorer to the appropriate folder and drag it into the article of a research topic.

As: Research topic: IE Favorites
Then drag into that article. Will create a link with the name of the folder.

Sorry, I don’t get it. Dragging and dropping the IE Favourites folder into a folder under research doesn’t work , same with dropping it into a file.

You would probably be better off creating a link to the folder in the References inspector pane, rather than importing anything into the binder.

Well, it’s an extensive folder with subfolders, so it wouldn’t be very efficient to copy-paste every single link.

Of course it’s not a huge deal. It’s just that, since Scrivener is keen on offering a system that allows you to organize everything within, I’d expected an easy way of importing an IE bookmarks/favourites folder

Another approach might be to export your Explorer bookmarks to an HTML file and then import that into your binder. It would give you a list of clickable links that you could prune down to what you need.

Maybe I misunderstood what you meant before though. Scrivener can import bulk folders and files, but maybe whatever you are dragging from File Explorer doesn’t look like that to it. You could try using File/Import/Files... and select the main directory with the links.

I don’t really know what these links are though, as files. I only have Edge on this computer I think, and I only ever used it to download Vivaldi. :slight_smile: So I don’t know much about where or how it stores bookmarks—or if it would help me out in that it may work totally differently from IE.

Hi Amber,

Sorry that it has taken me this embarrassingly long to reply. I think I’ve already tried that, but I’ll give it another go. I’ll let you know if it works.

Kind regards,

Repelstale

I’ve tried this and it sort of works.

I’ve exported the favorite folder in IE about my research to a HTML-file, than I imported that into Scrivener, like you said.

It shows a nice list, with full titles, and every link is presented as a hyperlink. It’s a bit strange though, sometimes clicking on a link, it opens the URL within Scrivener. You can even open up other hyperlinks from within that page. Not sure how this works, as Scrivener isn’t an internet browser, right?

Other links won’t open quickly, just showing a slow download bar in the lower right corner.

You can however right-click on any link, then it shows ‘ Copy Link’ and you can copy paste to IE or whatever browser you want.

The other thing you can do is just right click on the html -file itself in the binder, then Open > Original URL in browser. Then it opens up the whole list within IE, offering fully functional links.

I would have preferred it if clicking on a hyperlink in the list within Scrivener, would automatically open up IE, but I guess this is the next best thing.

Please let me know if I’m missing something here.

You know, I left out an important ingredient before, and that is that I think it would make the most sense to have the imported list converted to text, so that you can edit it as time goes by. Whether that happens is governed by the Convert HTML files to text setting, in the Tools ▸ Options… panel, under Import and Export.

You’re right though, Scrivener should not navigate to other sites like a browser would, it should send all clicks to your default browser. That is a longstanding issue with the web display tool they were using in this version. In the future it will be governed by a checkbox so you can do that if you want, optionally, but by default all Internet traffic from Scrivener is routed through the most secure environment on your machine for doing so: your browser.