Can I add text to a PDF template?

I have a few writing templates for outlines and character development and such, and I was wondering if there is a way to add text to them through Scrivener? I’ve added them to my project, but it seems I’m only able to view them, and I can’t type any text into them. Is there a way to be able to type in these documents, so I can fill in the outlines and develop my story? Or even a way to highlight certain text or draw on the document? Or do I have to convert the pdf into a word document first?

Thanks in advance for your help.

For a PDF to be editable it needs to be created as a form, a capability that is typically used for official documents that can be submitted digitally, rather than freeform editing. That said, simple PDF viewers like what we use in the software may not reliably save alterations to forms, so I wouldn’t want to depend on it. You can of course load a form PDF into something that does, like Adobe Reader, and saved changes should show up in Scrivener after a refresh.

That all aside, I wouldn’t want to myself use PDFs as any part of a creative workflow given how clumsy they are for editing. It’s really best to think of them as finished documents.

It’s not going to be pretty, so I recommend creating a duplicate in the binder first, but you can use the Documents ▸ Convert ▸ PDF to Text menu command to strip all of the text out of it and turn it into an editable file. You may get better quality with other tools, but in my experience PDF to text is in general a pretty ugly process. It’s a good reason to never consider a PDF your one and only archived copy of a document unless you are absolutely certain it will never need to be edited.