Can I do a case-specific search for a single letter?

Someone told me I had some misplaced capital “E’s” in my Kindle file–instead of reading the entire manuscript, can I search the source Scrivener doc for CAPITAL e’s (which will be far less common than lowercase e’s). In other words, can I do a case-specific search for a single letter?

Yes, you can do this. In the project search bar at the top right, enter the search term (capitalized E) and then click the magnifying glass on the left and choose “Case Sensitive” from the bottom of the list. You might also want to narrow your search to only Draft items and only the text of those (or text and titles; select multiple areas to search in by holding the Option key when clicking). To jump from instance to instance of the capitalized E within the search results, you can use Cmd-F to open the standard Find panel and deselect “ignore case” from there. (It will be pre-loaded with the search term, so you should just need to apply the case sensitivity.) You can then click the search results header in the binder to load all the documents as a Scrivenings session and use Cmd-G to skip through to each instance of the “E” in the text. (Turn on View > Editor > Show Titles in Scrivenings if you want to work with the document titles while doing this as well.)

Wow, sounds promising–I’ll try and report back!

I don’t get a button or a list when I click the magnifying glass–I get a “synopsis finder” window, seen here.
Screen shot 2012-06-21 at 4.42.23 PM.png

Sorry, I was unclear. You want to click the little magnifying glass inside the search bar itself–it looks just like the one to the left of the highlighted word “case” in the image you posted (only obviously you want the one in the project search bar in the main window rather than in the synopsis finder).

Worked AWESOMELY! Trickier question–can I search for things that are MISSING? For example, one half of a pair of quotation marks? Or a missing period at the end of a sentence? Can I search for two consecutive blank spaces? That might be a way to find a missing period.

That one is harder for software.

If you have access to a word processor like MS Word, you could export your text and run a grammar check - that should give you a heads-up if there is a capitalised letter without a period or similar before it.

But looking for something that isn’t there is basically very difficult. Sounds like you might be better off using a human proof-reader.

But humans are so inefficient!

Inefficient, error-prone, and they won’t admit it! … :open_mouth:

If you happen to use Nisus Writer Pro, I’m sure you could write a macro — if one doesn’t exist already — that would search for unmatched quotation pairs, and probably for capitals not preceded by a full stop.

As well as very powerful macro languages, NWP also has full regex search, and if you worked out how to do what you need using that, then a button-click lets you macro-ize it for future use.

And if you can’t work it out yourself, go to the NWP forum, and Martin of Nisus is brilliant and incredibly helpful, and Kino and phspaelti, the resident Ioa-alikes, will come in and guide you or may even quickly knock up a macro for you.

Mark