Can I keep a copy of 2.6 and 2.7 side by side?

Can I keep a copy of 2.6 and 2.7 side by side? (and make 2.6 the default)
Seeing that for me backwards compatibility is the top priority, and the iOS version hasn’t come out yet, for the time being I’m sticking with 2.6, but once the iOS version arrives I will probably have to upgrade.

Now, I know that under normal circumstances I can keep both versions by giving them different names, and use ‘open with’ to set the one I want as default, so that I retain the old format unless I’m dealing with a project I want to convert to mobile use, but there are some instances in which this can cause some issues, so I was wondering where Scrivener stood in that regard. Thanks!

The biggest issue is that the new (2.7) project format is not backwards compatible. That is, once opened in 2.7, it will no longer be possible to open a project in 2.6.

The second issue is that 2.6 is not compatible with El Capitan. So any El Capitan systems you have will need 2.7, which will cause any projects opened on those systems to (permanently) migrate to the 2.7 format.

FWIW, my original plan was to install 2.7 for support purposes, but stick with 2.6 for my own work. This plan lasted about a day before I decided it was easier to just go ahead and switch.

Beyond El Capitan and mobile compatibility, 2.7 does fix a few annoying bugs, and to the best of my knowledge there are no known issues when using it with Yosemite. (There are a few known El Capitan issues, mostly tied to Apple bugs.)

Katherine

Thanks, my problem is that while I have a system that’s about to migrate to El Capitan, I also have another one that runs Tiger, and isn’t compatible with anything above 2.5 (seeing how 10.4 is the last OS that allows me to open files from classic apps that never made the switch to OS X, and the fact that I having access to those files has saved my butt more than once, that one’s not going anywhere), so I am basically caught between a rock and a hard place here. For the time being I’d rather live with any bugs that come up in El Capitan than lose backwards compatibility. I realize that that’s a bit of arithmetic that will get a little trickier once the iOS version has to be factored into the equation, but over all I’m not too eager to go mobile, and am far more worried about losing the ability to open my projects my an older system (which, incidentally, also serves as my emergency backup when I have an issue with my primary device).

Anyway, from where I stand the change in file format (or rather the fact that for the first time Scrivener is breaking compatibility with existing users for whom updating isn’t an option), is my first serious grievance with the program. No, the annoyance is not big enough to kill my love for the app, but I do think it could have been handled better (the ability to export to the older format, like we can export to so many others, or even a script to convert a file back separate for the main app would have come in handy).