Can I print the outliner?

I got the outliner set up very cleanly giving me the bullet points of my script. Can I print this out? It is made up of Title, Label, and Status. Kris

Check out this answer, here.

Thank you.

This procedure does not seem to be working reliably. Some headings (aka file titles) are missing. It seems that parent headings that have children are not included, i.e.

Instead of:
h1
h1.1
h1.2
h1.2.1
h2

I get:
h1.1
h1.2.1
h2

(this is using the non-numbering CSS - the indentation works as expected)

Isn’t there any other way to get the outline out of the Scrivener without loosing the hierarchy of the file titles form Binder?

Thanks for looking at it.

Ensure you have Titles checked across the board in the first compile tab. I have just tested the instructions in the FAQ answer to make sure nothing is out of date, and managed to get a full outline based on the structure you provided.

Thanks. It works.

I forgot to answer your other question here. In the current version, no, there really isn’t a way to export an indented list, at least not without the help of a word processor and some pretty limiting conditions. However this will definitely be possible in the next version; in fact there will be several ways of doing this.

I wanted to give my supervisor a copy of my outline with target word counts and I was turning myself inside out trying to do it. Since Scrivener seems to do everything else I ask of it, it never occurred to me (until I checked) that printing the outline wouldn’t be possible. I guess I’ll either do it manually (by exporting the synopsis and then typing the word-count information) or wait for Scrivener 2. Or have I misunderstood your comment about the next version? :question:

I can think of a few ways you could get a genuine outline with title and synopsis exported into an OPML file, but the word count bit would be impossible. There is a wordcount token, of course, but this is only a compile total, it does not consider the section that it is placed within and so would report the same number over and over.

Thanks AmberV.
Unfortunately I don’t have any outliner apps - all I wanted was to print my outline and give it to my supervisor because she asked for a copy. It was with some embarrassment (because I have been promoting Scrivener so heavily and recommending it to all my colleagues) that I had to tell her I couldn’t give her a copy of what was my on my screen. :blush:

I’ll add a post to the Wish List board. I’m sure Keith has higher priorities, but printing the outline would help me convince my supervisor that my thesis does have structure and that I have thought about the relative lengths of each section. And, as an added benefit, she could then tell me how naïve and unrealistic I am with my hopeful estimations.

To get round your problem temporarily, you could follow AmberV’s suggestions and then download yourself a trial version of OmniOutliner to do the job in hand. You never know, you might …

Tell you the truth, reading these latest posts may change the way I have been working, to a way I’d like to work. When I began teaching at XMU — 4 years BS — I would prepare the material for my lectures in OmniOutliner and then export it to Keynote to prepare the presentation, and to RTF to tart it up for print-to-PDF and printing through NWP and InDesign. In subsequent years, I have not had to prepare new courses in the same way, rather just update them, which I’ve done in the end-use app. In the 2 years AS, I have always wanted to get Scrivener into the system, somehow, but didn’t really see a workflow. With what we’ve had here, and since I’ll have new courses to set up this year, I see I can use Scrivener --> OPML --> OmniOutliner --> Keynote, and use the same base in Scrivener for Scrivener --> RTF --> NWP (–> InDesign if necessary).

Mark