Can one set a link to a document / folder in the Binder?

Can one set a link to a document / folder in the Binder like one would create a new document / folder, so the content would be shown when one click on the linked item or the folder containing it?

Or is there a manner to show the same content (of an item) more than once in another item or more without duplicating the content and without using “Collections”?

There are no features like that. You’re referring to “clones” or “replicants”, in outlining jargon, I believe. It’s not uncommon in advanced dedicated outliner software (and more commonly in file managers via Shortcuts on Windows, Aliases on Mac and symbolic and hard links on UNIX), but Scrivener is not among them. :slight_smile: There are rationale for why not in the forum history if you wish to read into why.

No, may be not, I am not sure, just like such a DDE link (do not know the correct name at the moment) in OpenOffice or Word, so when you edit the text inserted that way (by, as a link) you always edit the source text (not a copy). E.g. you copy the document “Text-Source” to another place “Text-Destination” in the Binder (the often you like it) and edit “Text-Destination” the source text “Text-Source” (all its occurrences inserted as such a link) is edited.

Rationals, yes, would be interesting?

Yes, it sounds like you are referring to clones. To demonstrate, if you have a binder like this:

Draft/ File A Research/ File B Trash

The result is that when you click on “File B” you see the contents of “File A” and if you edit a word in “File B” then click on “File A” that edit shows up there.

There are two approaches here in making that happen, the link and the clone. With the link, if I delete “File A”, then “File B” becomes meaningless as it no longer has any data to point to. This is like the Shortcut in Windows—you have to find a new target for it to work. If a thing is a clone, then both File A and File B in fact point to one universal data source beneath them, so that if I delete File A then File B becomes the sole pointer to that target. They are all equal in that sense, and the original data is not deleted until there are no more pointers in the system left to it. This is more like the UNIX hard link.

Either way, the closest Scrivener comes to these concepts is the Collections feature, which isn’t really a separate instance of the original item, but another listing of it.

Yes, exactly, now I see how bad my explanation was, sorry.

Yes, that sounds very good.

And adding a common link to the Binder (the same manner you add a new doc / folder) or anything similar is not possible either. So the fastest / easiest way to add a link is to drag an item into the editor while pressing CTRL+SHIFT.

Alright, thank you very much