can we compile a collection?

Good news - I got my app to work after updating my iOS.
I figured out how to compile my manuscript. Now I want to compile my creatures and characters that I have put information on into folders, called them part heading, and under them chapter headings, and then added text as sections. I added each part to a collection (Encyclopedia). Can I compile this collection? Every time I try, the only thing that shows in the compile window for the collection is the part headings, and when i compile it to pdf, i just get those pages… nothing else. What do I need to call these in order to get them to compile? Do they need to be a separate project?

I found a way around it by making my encyclopedia a new part in my manuscript, putting all my info in folders under it, and then compiling just that part. It means copying over and redoing my research entries, but that is probably a good thing.

That’s not a bad approach. In fact the way I like to do things, if there is a body of background material I sometimes want to have all together or even just alone, is to go ahead and arrange it however I want in the Draft folder, along with the normal stuff (or at the end, whatever). The key is to toggle the “Include in Compile” checkbox off for all of these kinds of folders and subdocuments.

With the way you have things set up, you can do that most easily with the Outliner:

1. Select the main “Encyclopedia” folder in the binder.
  2. Switch the view mode to outliner, with View ▸ Outline.
  3. Use the View ▸ Outliner Options ▸ submenu to add the “Include in Compile” column.
  4. Click into the outliner, and use View ▸ Outline ▸ Expand All or ⌘9.
  5. Hold down the Option key, and click on any of the “Include in Compile” checkboxes.

That will toggle them all off. Under default conditions this stuff set to be excluded won’t compile, as you’d expect. You’ll see it in the compile contents list, but it’s checkmark will be disabled.

If you want to print just that though, then in then go into Compile, and in the Contents list where you set the compile group, look to the right of the dropdown menu and click on the funnel icon. At the top of that palette is a three-way toggle for compiling included documents (default), excluded (just your notes print, not the book), or all (everything prints). You can tell when a filter is in use at a glance, as the funnel icon will glow whenever it isn’t set to defaults.

You won’t see a visual change in the list, but if you compile with just excluded documents you should only get the notes. While there, and before doing so, scroll down to the main “Encyclopedia” folder and make sure it doesn’t have a checkmark either. Before, we only toggled it’s subfolders and documents off, not it. Just click the checkbox to the left of the title.

There are other ways of approaching this as well. Collections aren’t a bad idea in fact, but it sounds from your description that you only dragged the main part folders into it. If you click on the collection tab in the binder sidebar (use View ▸ Show Collections if necessary), do you see all of the items you want to compile? Here’s a trick: you can drag a folder to the collection tab with the Option key held down to add it and all of its subdocuments at once.

Hello,

I’d like to revive this topic.

There are lots of usecases when one might want to compile a collection and not work through the binder. As I see it collections are a logical view on data that is ordered with a certain logic in the binder and that can be viewed through any different logic (subset of the binder data, different sort order etc) through collections without duplicating the data.

Fatally you might want to compile a collection.

For instance I have a cognates dictionary project with about 5300+ entries ordered by 1rst letter (folders) then English alphabetical order. I might want to compile out of it a French / English subset or a list of entries that don’t have a Spanish equivalent yet to send to a colleague, or compile the list of words ending in -tion that are cognates.

So, I’d really like to know of this feature is / has been considered.

Thanks,

S.

We had been discussing methods for compiling non-book material generally, which included some methods not based around collections, but that doesn’t mean you can’t use collections. Refer to §23.4.1, Contents Tab for full documentation on how to use the Contents list to set up your compile group. Also take note of Filtering, on page 573. I often prefer to use collections as a non-linear filter rather than compiling the collection directly as a flat list. It sounds to me like that might be particularly useful for generating three different word lists from a common definition pool.